cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is your phone service with Plusnet? If not, why not?

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Is your phone service with Plusnet? If not, why not?

Quote from: Oldjim
Please provide a link to the relevant regulation and explain why it should only apply to BT retail

Plusnet do allow the use of indirect access providers: http://www.plus.net/support/phone/home-phone-faq.shtml?source=legals#indirect
9. Can I use an indirect access provider to make calls?
Yes, although you should be aware that we can't offer support if there are problems with the service you're using.
Please note: indirect access services using 0845 and 0870 numbers are chargeable calls.

But, acording to http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/index.html
23.  If you elect to use another provider for some or all of your calls we may at our sole discretion decide to:
    1. bar your use of IDA or CPS codes;
    2. charge you a higher fee for your use of the Service;
    3. terminate this Agreement; and/or
    4. disconnect all or any part of the Service.

Does anyone else find this contradictory (and worrying)?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As edited in my post above this raises an interesting question
BT have to allow indirect access because BT is assumed to have Significant Market Power
This raises another question - as this refers only to BT and not specifically to BT retail and Plusnet is a subsidiary of BT surely it should apply to them as well otherwise BT Group could in theory start up an number of brands which would get round the SMP criteria
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: w23

23.  If you elect to use another provider for some or all of your calls we may at our sole discretion decide to:
    1. bar your use of IDA or CPS codes;
    2. charge you a higher fee for your use of the Service;
    3. terminate this Agreement; and/or
    4. disconnect all or any part of the Service.

Does anyone else find this contradictory (and worrying)?

Yes, and quite unjustifiable too!
After all, if you don't have a phone and therefore don't make any calls PN don't threaten to charge you more or restrict you in any way.
The line rental is supposed to cover the line and the call charges cover the calls. If you choose to use an indirect access provider PN shouldn't get huffy.
I can't really see (m)any advantages with PN's phone provision anyway and this kind of small print only makes it less attractive.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
mhoward4
Dabbler

Quote from: dvorak
BT, line rental saver and anytime calls.
Each time I look there's so little in it (in fact bt were cheaper) when taking the free caller id into account and don't use 1571.
There would have to substantial benefit for me to move, as there's always the risk something could go wrong and the grief one would get for that it isn't worth the effort.

Same here
Timalay
Grafter

Quite an unique here.
It simples really, my parents pay for the telephone line, and I pay for the Broadband (because they where looking at cutting costs, and seeing as I use the internet the most I makes sense I pay for it).
Heloman
Grafter

Sorry for the late reply. Only just seen this.
My reason for not using PN phone service is entirely practical. PN does not provide paper billing.
My wife and I are both in our mid-70s, and SWMBO is a Luddite who does not/will not/never will use a computer.
Should I pre-decease her, as is quite likely, she would be left with no means of checking the phone account/billing.
BT still do, even though they keep nagging me to change!
andun84
Rising Star

Living in the North of Ireland where I have family living in the Republic your packages just don't make sense as I have to pay the normal UK rates for calls to the Republic however  both my current and previous suppliers (BT and TalkTalk) charge calls between both parts of Ireland as national calls ie as if calls were wholly within the UK. To move to yourselves would prove costly.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Changed from BT to PN phone some time ago.
For me the combined package of Phone plus broadband was cheaper in total than a phone from BT & Broadband from PN.
On my previous deal my allowed usage with PN was 2GB a month but this combined deal gives me 10GB a month and the phone anytime rather than just evenings and weekends is a big plus for me and does not cost much more.
Paying line rental in advance (same as BT) is also a big plus so providing PN keeps it's prices competitive then I will be sticking with them.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

I'm not on Plusnet for phone line.
I prefer to keep phone with BT for that closer link to the supplier. I used to rent a phone from BT as well, to ensure when I had a problem I could quickly plug in standard equipment to show them that the fault was theirs. I don't rent the equipment any more, but BT let me keep it as a "thank you" for renting it for so long - probably cost more to ship it back than the phone was worth.
It comes in handy though, last voice fault I had, dragged out my trusty BT phone and had the line fixed nice and quickly.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

I too am a phone broadband schizo! Because I have heard uninspiring tales of problems when things go wrong with the line.
I have more basic faith in PN than some others though.
What have experiences of users been when having to go via PN to get a fault rectified? Why can't PN find a way to give customers recompense for calls diverted to mobile? After all, a line fault is down to BT in some shape or form, and PN should pay the user and be able to claim on BT.
So why not?!
Balancing out the worth of a cheaper service again unquantifiable costs if things go wrong is not an easy job, and so a deterrant from changing. Few people like unquantifiability.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
scottvincent

I've only moved my phone to PN to get the free install. It will cost me more in the long wrong because BT is cheaper. With BT annual line rental I got free evening and weekend calls and free caller display. With PN annual line rental I have to pay for both of these.
James
Grafter

I think you only get free Weekend calls with BT. Evenings is an additional £2.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

AFAIK PlusNet do not provide "Call Sign" which I use and require.
Could someone from PN confirm/deny that.
If it is available, what's the monthly charge and how would I ensure continuity of the alternate number?
pint
Aspiring Pro

IOm currently signed up to plusnets line rental saver scheme, however when it expires i am considering jumping ship to an LLU provider, as plusnets Market 1 prices on a market 1 exchanges are significantly more than the prices charged by LLU providers.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You'd better check that the LLU provider will provide the service at the same price on a Market 1 exchange, because they have to use BTw they may not be interested at all ......"you are not in an area we cover..... blah blah". Others may charge £5-£15pm more than the LLU price.