cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the ticket system working?

sheepherd
Dabbler

Is the ticket system working?

I would like to thank all those PN staff who try so valiently to save the companies deteriorating reputation. You are appreciated by the customers if not the management.
I am prompted to query the ticket system as I have recently operated my MAC key and in the process the system! has generated 13+ entries within itself and that does not include three related mail notes that I have received for which the system appears to have no record. I think most would agree that the staff are stretched and possibly it is the ticket system that is a significant contributor to the problem. It is certainly questionable whether it is delivering improved service to the customers.
Yes I know I may well be taking my problems to my new ISP but at least I won't be paying PN to ignore me. I just find it hard to believe how short a time ago it was  that I was recommending PN to my friends.
5 REPLIES 5
Zap
Grafter

Re: Is the ticket system working?

Sadly it is a sign of the times that we are all expected to do more for less.
My web hosting provider in the US has a simple feature that I think Plusnet could use.
When you post a ticket they ask:

Please select your general expertise in the area of this request:
I do know some stuff, but please don't assume too much.
Overall I know my stuff, but I'm a little shaky in this area.
I have a good understanding of this stuff.
Not to be rude, but I probably know more about this than you!

They then say

Please select the type of this request:
Just a casual question, comment, idea, suggestion...
I need some help but it's not super time-sensitive.
I can't get things done until I hear back from you, please reply ASAP.
Things are broken and I'd like them not to be!
OMG! EXTREME CRITICAL EMERGENCY!! EVERYTHING'S BROKEN! People are DYING!

Over time if you cry wolf too many times they rate you accordingly if you abuse their system.
I find it helps them prioritise according to customers requirements rather than just age of ticket.  I know everyone likes to think everything is urgent but I have never used the last two options and I have been happy with the response.

drmiket
Grafter

The ticket system looks to be worst one I've ever seen, either as a customer or an employee. The US style sounds great. Why oh why they use the tickets to send ***internal msg*** to each other I do not know. Surely you have email guys! Hint: it really doesn't help because it looks lazy, naff and exposes internal info to customers. It's stuff we don't need to know and often it's written in your secret shorthand. As another post says "you don't help yourselves".
This does not address the time taken to reply, if any reply is made at all. I've experienced both long silences and answers so evasive it would make an MP blush. This is, am guessing, a lack of staff issue. It doesn't look good from here.
Mike
mal0z
Grafter

normal email is totally uncontrolled - and you can't track them in the same way as a good ticket system.
I know of some companies that have banned internal email, and a lot of websites don't give normal email addresses - they provide forms that then feed messages into these ticket systems.
Maybe some of the IT guys around here can explain better than I could
Mand
Grafter

@sheepherd,
We're working on those inefficient ticket flows at the moment, and are hoping to roll these changes out over the next few weeks.
@drmiket,
We add internal notes to tickets so that a customer can see what's happening, and to keep a track of work done in a way that's accountable. We don't use internal email for operational things, as it's not easily tracked, and isn't accountable.
Do you have any tickets that need looking at now? Or is this feedback from recent experiences?
avollmer
Grafter

Zap - I like your US example a lot - we'll look at that
Sheepherd - the staff are doing a great job, but just to reassure you we're investing more in Plusnet customer service now than ever before both in terms of number of staff & training but also improvements to systems. I know some areas are busier than usual at the moment which has increased wait times but I'm very close to the detail of our plans and we're working hard to deliver them quickly.
Anthony