cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Plusnet giving too much away to attract new customers?

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Is Plusnet giving too much away to attract new customers?

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2013/06/plusnet_offers_half_price_broadband_and_25_cashback_on...
Half price for 12 months, free connection (worth £25) + £25 cashback (credit).
Are existing (loyal) customers subsidising this?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
9 REPLIES 9
James
Grafter

Re: Is Plusnet giving too much away to attract new customers?

Hi,
We've been doing similar offers on and off since the new products were launched in late December.
Existing customers can get the same/similar deal half price wise if they recontract for 24 months.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I find that Uswitch link misleading.  Cry
It suggests half-price broadband (as to some extent does the PN home page) BUT actually only applies to phone+BB packages; I can't see any discount if you ONLY want broadband and choose to keep your phone with BT (or similar).  Sad
Worse, you're charged an EXTRA £2.50pm to do that.  Crazy Double-whammy!  Angry
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

i was just about to post something similar, if you're loyal for broadband only you luck out Sad
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I wonder how long it will be before PN will ONLY take new customers who sign up for a Phone + BB package.  Roll_eyes
dvorak

don't think it'll be far off..
Customer / Moderator
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Existing customers can get the same/similar deal half price wise if they recontract for 24 months.

Does that apply at any time during the period of your contract or only when the contract is about to expire?
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

All this half price malarkey makes no sense. If, for instance, the normal cost is £10 a month why not reduce the whole 12 months to £7.50?
Ado16
Grafter

Back in the days of dial up internet, We were on a package with BT of £14.99 plus whatever line rental was in '99/2000.  After around a year BT offered £2.50 a month off the bill and we had our 'net service for £12.49 a month.  This Special offer stayed with us when we moved 300 miles up North. Which was nice.  Then funnily enough, when we moved two miles up the road BT suddenly decided we couldn't have that special offer any more and would have to revert to standard charges again.  Angry  Naturally, by that time there was more competition and we told BT, after a lifetime of service,  to B off.
Much ado about nothing really.  I only mention it because a: at that time the providers seemed to be happy to throw discounts at existing clients* - and b: £12.49 a month for dial up internet then and now it's what? £9.99 for unlimited standard Broadband.  What's changed? Surely, in 10-15 years we all ought to be paying less than a fiver a month for standard broadband shouldn't we? Yet line rental is going up and Broadband really just hovers around the same price give or take a fiver.
*Yup! I realise that in the late 90's the market was so small BT could play with prices as much as they liked.
dvorak

Quote from: glloyd
All this half price malarkey makes no sense. If, for instance, the normal cost is £10 a month why not reduce the whole 12 months to £7.50?

because it's a nice headline price to lure people in who aren't good at maths Roll_eyes
Customer / Moderator