cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is PlusNet safe from SpyEye Trojan attack?

chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Is PlusNet safe from SpyEye Trojan attack?

Hi all,
I have just read on BBC News that some Virgin Media BB users were infected with this Trojan that steals logins for Online Bank accounts.  From what I understood Virgin Media has sent out a letter to its users giving them the way to clean their Pc's of this trojan.
Are we safe from this Trojan attack using the PN BB?
Chandu.
8 REPLIES 8
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Is PlusNet safe from SpyEye Trojan attack?

You need to make sure the anti-virus, malware and other security software is up to date. It's not the actual broadband service that's infected, it was the end users (customers) machines.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chandu
Rising Star

Thanks Chris.
My Internet Security Software is up to date.  Yes, it is the customer Pc's which get infected, but Virgin had to send out letters to its users about it so it must have come via that ISP, I presume.
My concern is that is Plusnet taking any precautions to protect its users?
Regards,
Chandu.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

but Virgin had to send out letters to its users about it so it must have come via that ISP, I presume.

That isn't my understanding of it, they were alerted to some of their users being infected by a security company presumably because these users were passing information to sites the security company knew of.
My concern is that is Plusnet taking any precautions to protect its users?

If we get alerted to the same or similar issue regarding our customers, then we'll have to decide on what to do then.
We cannot monitor every individuals PC to check they aren't infected, however we *do* provide an anti-virus solution for our customers. (McAfee)
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chandu
Rising Star

Thanks Chris.
I had read the brief description of the issue on the BBC.  Okay, so ISPs can't block the malware/s.
I would rather go for Norton than McAfee and I have Nortons updated every day.  Thanks.
Regards,
Chandu.
Heloman
Grafter

There is of course an alternative solution. An OS that doesn't require Norton, McAfee or any other anti-malware, let alone for it to be updated daily.  Wink
Anonymous
Not applicable

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Chris
We cannot monitor every individuals PC to check they aren't infected, however we *do* provide an anti-virus solution for our customers. (McAfee)

Don't forget the server-side firewall.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

chandu
Rising Star

Thank Bob Pullen.  I will check it out.
Chandu.