cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irritation with welcome letter

88tinkler

Irritation with welcome letter

Received my welcome letter which stated that nothing could be done without MAC code. Rang TalkTalk to get it. Had long sales pitch on difficult line from person with strong accent. Gave up. Rang again. Same sales pitch but after great patience on my part I told TalkTalk that I needed a MAC code. Agent told me that I didn't. Questioned this, but was assured that MAC code not needed. Called Plusnet. Told them what I had heard. They said that this info wrong and that I should re-contact TalkTalk and tell them that they have a legal duty to provide me with a MAC code. Rang TalkTalk for third time. Sales pitch again but told once again that no MAC code necessary. Rang Plusnet again. After some deliberation it was agreed that no MAC code is necessary.

This might sound no great inconvenience but when you add in all the listening to hold music, security questions etc. it adds up to a frustrating experience. The Plusnet welcome letter should say "A MAC code may be required" and the appropriate staff given suitable training so that they understand the system.
Why are so many telecoms firms so bad at so many things?
2 REPLIES 2
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Irritation with welcome letter

Hi 88Tinker,
Welcome to the forums and PlusNET.
I suggest the problem is that in a generic welcome letter it is not practical to cover all of the options.  For all non-LLU provisioned services except Virgin Media a MAC code is always required to migrate a service.  In the case of Talk Talk and Sky who are predominantly LLU based, a MAC code can still be required in some circumstances.
A specific answer reflecting your circumstances needs input from PlusNET forum members (CRT) who are only in here Monday to Friday.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Cruise85
Grafter

Re: Irritation with welcome letter

Hi 88Tinker,
I would fist of all like to apologise for the confusion caused in regards to this matter.
In regards to a MAC code, as pretty much covered by Townman, in the past nearly every transfer between providers required a MAC, with the exception of LLU providers.
However, in recent times, the need for a MAC has become less significant, as the transfer process which many providers now use does not require a MAC, with the odd exception.
As such, the standard email that was sent does suggest that a MAC is required, however this was incorrectly documented as we have now confirmed.
I do apologise again for the inconvenience caused
Matt