cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install problem - am I losing the plot .................

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Install problem - am I losing the plot .................

And for anyone reading this I will stress that my suggestion to contact the Plusnet CEO is only intended to cover circumstances where you have a new FTTC install including fitting a filtered master socket faceplate and the installation of this faceplate leaves one or more of your previously fully working wired extensions in a non working condition and Plusnet denies that it is their responsibility to book a BT Openreach engineer to come back and fix the problem.  The non working condition could be either no dial tone and/or no bell tone at that extension when your line rings.  Previously all of these extensions have been working without any issue before BT fitted a filtered faceplate on the Master Socket.

I'm not making these points to contradict you Capvermell, but you will get a quicker and more appropriate response by contacting support in the first instance, we'll also help where we can when customers post about such issues in the forums.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Capvermell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
I'm not making these points to contradict you Capvermell, but you will get a quicker and more appropriate response by contacting support in the first instance

Is it a better and more appropriate response for the customer to be told that any extensions that no longer work after BT has entered the customer's premises to fit a new filtered master face plate on the master socket are the customer's issue to deal with at their own cost rather than an issue for Plusnet and/or its telephone installation and maintenance contractor (BT Openreach) to deal with at its expense?
Much though you will try to deny it that is in fact what actually happens if one tries to log this issue as an ordinary customer support call as several other posts by members in this forum have also shown.
The bottom line is customer service staff seem to resent customers approaching the CEO because it stops them using these unfair and unreasonable but money saving tactics when dealing with Plusnet's customers.   I suppose if quality of service rather than profit was always at the forefront of Plusnet's concerns then it might provide customers with a decent wireless router for FTTC install rather than the third rate but very cheap Technicolor 582n.  The main deficiency of the item is the product's wireless range (where connection speeds fall drastically only 5 metres away from the router and especially with higher end FTTC connection speeds at the router which fall off the fastest - all of this due to cost saving by giving the router no aerial of its own).
Similarly if product quality rather than price was always Plusnet's primary concern then Fibre Unlimited Plusnet broadband customers might also be being offered YouView boxes in return for being locked in to an 18 month FTTC contract.  I actually think it is irresponsible for BT to provide YouView boxes to customers not on an Unlimited broadband package but not doubt they do so in the hope of forcing a later broadband package upgrade.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Capvermell
Is it a better and more appropriate response for the customer to be told that any extensions that no longer work after BT has entered the customer's premises to fit a new filtered master face plate on the master socket are the customer's issue to deal with at their own cost rather than an issue for Plusnet and/or its telephone installation and maintenance contractor (BT Openreach) to deal with at its expense?

Plusnet are not responsible for issues with your internal wiring. If this problem was caused by an Openreach employee or contractor, you need to take it up directly with them.
This would appear to be the appropriate contact form.
Capvermell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Jaggies
Plusnet are not responsible for issues with your internal wiring. If this problem was caused by an Openreach employee or contractor, you need to take it up directly with them.
This would appear to be the appropriate contact form.

No it is you who is clearly wrong.. The form at www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/submitFeedback.do?contactReason=complain_damage_to_property quite clearly says it is there "to report damage to my property caused by an Openreach employee"
When they say "damage to my property" they quite clearly have in mind property that you own such as your own carpet, curtains chairs, vases etc.  They do not have in mind the condition and manner of connection of some wires (which are usually merely misconfigured by the visiting engineer rather than actually physically damaged) that they BT Opereach still own and that the customer is specifically excluded from accessing and working on by legislation (as they are inside their BT Master Socket).
They make it quite clear that in any circumstance other than that of the visiting Openreach Engineer  accidentally damaging your property that:-
"if you have a problem with your telephone line, an engineer appointment, or your broadband connection you will need to contact your Communication provider (whoever bills you for that service.)
Since the wiring in your master socket being misconfigured in a way that causes your extensions not to work or ring is "a problem with your telephone line" you clearly need to contact your "Communications Provider"
It is then that the fun begins since your Communications Provider for your telephone line will often not be the same as for your broadband provider (i.e.most frequently  BT for the one and Plusnet for the other at the time of fibre to the cabinet activation  even if you have opted to have your phone line moved over to Plusnet in due course) and you will then end up in a masterful exercise in buck passing between Plusnet, your phone line provider and BT Openreach.  And you as a phone customer are not entitled to contact BT Openreach for any circumstance other than their engineer damaging your property and this specifically excludes damage to "their property" (in this case their wiring and connections inside their BT Master Socket).  It is for the maintenance of that wiring and equipment in their Master Socket and all the connections behind it out on to the BT network for which you pay your telephone communications provider a small fortune in line rental.