Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increased VAT

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Increased VAT

If I'm posting in the wrong place - my apologies...
I recently got an email from PlusNet informing me that from 1st January 2010 VAT will increase from 15% back to 17.5%. with the corresponding increase in my monthly bill.  I'm on BBYW Option 2.  Sad
Now I pay for my daughter's broadband who is on PlusNet Value.  She also had an email stating " We're pleased to advise that we won't be passing the VAT increase on to you for your broadband service".  Grin
Now I'm sure this has been asked before (I did look...) but can anyone tell me why one package is subject to increased VAT whilst another is not?
John
13 REPLIES 13
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Increased VAT

thats a good question, its probably that it would take the market 3 Value over £5.99
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I think it boils down to if you have a current package - Pro / Value / Premium - that you don't have any cost increase, discontinued packages do.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
PNnewbie
Rising Star

My daughter's account is a new one so she'll be on the ~£10 Value package - the cheaper one is not available via our local Exchange.
Can't remember but I think it's ~£5 for the first 3 months then ~£10 afterwards - maybe that has some bearing on the VAT issue...
Emails from PN do say:-
From January we'll have one standard set of terms and conditions for all our services, which will make it much simpler for anyone checking their agreement.
As it only amounts to pennies it's fairly irrelevant, I was just curious...
Thanks Pierre_Pierre
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The old packages were decreased in price when the VAT went down - they are now being put back to the original prices.
The new packages were introduced while VAT was at the lower level. Plusnet must have priced them taking in to account the scheduled VAT increase - hence the VAT increase being absorbed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
PNnewbie
Rising Star

pierre_pierre/jelv/adiewoo thanks for your inputs.
jelv - that sounds right.  My old BBYW Option 2 is merely being returned to it's original price whilst the newer Value package must have been priced with the VAT increase in mind.
Thanks again
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not sure as I am on Value, but I think Pro an Premi have both gone up, only Value stayed the same
dvorak

Nope they have remained the same too
Customer / Moderator
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The products we currently sell stayed at the same price as shown on the website. Legacy products increased back to the levels before the VAT reduction.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
dvorak

Except for unlimited which didn't exist before the vat reduction, so that just went up Wink Cheesy
edit: removed value as it is still a current package.
Customer / Moderator
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I thought the price of those was unchanged.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Unlimited has had the increase, but value hasn't.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

edit: Post removed. Added to incorrect thread.
Zap
Grafter

Talking of VAT, I got the most convoluted bill from BT (Plusnet parent), they basically broke down every service into a daily rate and credited me then recharged me VAT from Jan 1.
Plusnet just increased my bill from the first Invoice in 2010 which will be on 27/1, so thanks Plusnet.
Don't know why BT has to be so penny pinching, they do not get the money, I suppose they make a lot of interest on all those pennies for a quarter.