Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 Roadmap

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

IPv6 Roadmap

Given the known problems of IPv4 addresses running out and the associated geographic problems seen with addresses transferred from other countries is there a roadmap for when Plusnet will start using IPv6
Note this statement from BT
http://www.ipv6consultancy.com/ipv6blog/?p=94
At the recent IPv6 Enablers conference held in Edinburgh last week, BT announced that they will be rolling out IPv6 to broadband users in 2015.
In 2013, BT trialled the use of Carrier Grade NAT (CGN) as a possible approach to extending the life of the IPv4 Internet. BT found the problems associated with CGN made it an unacceptable solution. As a result, BT is now committed to deploying IPv6 which is the only long term solution to the IPv4 address exhaustion problem.
6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: IPv6 Roadmap

Nothing further to add that we've not stated previously unfortunately.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Chris,
Is there an ACTIVE IPv6 programme within PN or is the whole concept on hold - pilot stuck as is?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

grahamt
Rising Star

Surely it's the latter. There would be no reason, commercial or otherwise, not to tell us about plans if there were any.
Still, it's only been 20-odd years since IPv6 was basically standardised. Can't rush things, now, can we?
chrcoluk
Grafter

I would be surprised if plusnet ignored ipv6 after BTr rolls it out.  So given BT's statement I expect it will come, but it does look like it will be 'after' the BTr rollout.
MrToast
Grafter

Quote from: grahamt
Surely it's the latter. There would be no reason, commercial or otherwise, not to tell us about plans if there were any.

Its not difficult to find reference to BT, Virgin and Sky stating they will launch in 2015. Global IPv6 users share is doubling each year as total users continue to grow. IPv6 is at almost 7% user share now which is far less than availability. In 4 - 5 years it will all be over.
There must be a plan. Any ISP without one is too late. (Unless that <i>is</i> the plan!!?)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

IPV6 offers me nothing that I want.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."