Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

Quote from: Bob

It shouldn't be too difficult to get on an IP outside of the two affected ranges.

It isn't, but it can be difficult to do that and at the same time avoid gateway / congestion issues we're seeing in the evenings.
Thanks for contacting the data base people, it's good to know at least one of them are updating their records -- shame it will take a few weeks.  Undecided
I really don't want a permanent static IP, it there not temporary solution plusnet can offer for this issue.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: npr
I really don't want a permanent static IP, it there not temporary solution plusnet can offer for this issue.

Not officially, no. I've dropped you a PM.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

nbk
Grafter

Something else but I don't think it's related as this has only just started recently no matter the IP I'm on, even ones that weren't in the infonet range...
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,141827.0.html
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Don't think that's related. I've seen reports of it before, directing people to the Spanish domain for example.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Re: IP address registered in US

Quote from: npr
Last night I did some gateway hopping to try and escape the peak time slowdown only to discover this morning that my VOIP phone connection was broken.
It appears the IP I moved to is registered as being in the US which make my VOIP need the full international code preceding a phone number.
https://db-ip.com/146.198.168.1

I don't suppose you're able to raise a ticket with VoipDiscount about this issue are you?
Despite my best efforts, they are insisting that you contact them directly. I've advised them that the issue is best dealt with between me and them, and that I'm happy to replicate the issue if they can add a bit of credit to my own account but they're having none of it Angry
[quote author="VoipDiscount"]Dear Customer,
In order to investigate the case, we will need specific details coming from an account experiencing the issue described above. Please ask your customer to contact us directly, indicating the exact issue and we will check.
Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Customer service
If you want to reference the ongoing ticket dialogue I have with them, then my username is 'bobpullen'.
Basically, I've asked them to check how they're geo-locating the following IP ranges to make sure they're all seen as UK-based addresses:
146.198.0.0/16
146.199.0.0/16
146.200.0.0/16
143.159.0.0/16

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to say that VoipDiscount are now blanket closing my tickets without so much as a response to the questions I'm asking. I replicated the problem, provided them with details and after 5-6 attempts they finally provided a sensible (ish) response that it's because the IP range is registered to an address in the US. As we're all aware, it is, but that doesn't mean it can't be geo-located elsewhere.
They provided a link to the ARIN whois data so I asked how their geo-location worked (whether they're using a provider or maintaining their own list, it would be odd to rely solely on ARIN whois data). It's at this point that they've just started closing my tickets.
[quote author="VoipDiscount"]The answer to your question can be found in the Help section on the website or was already send to you previously. If this is not sufficient please send us a new helpdesk ticket again and we will try to answer your question within a period of 48 hours.
If I raise another ticket, it simply gets met with the same response Angry
Let's hope they are relying on one of the two geo-location providers you've mentioned (although I have my reservations). If not, then there's not much more I can do I'm afraid Sad
They did suggest you change your location via the desktop software but I informed them that this isn't much use as I suspect you're using dedicated SIP device/software.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Sounds to me that VoipDiscount are not an organisation to use then. Maybe if they get a bad name for poor support they'll change their attitude Shocked
npr
Pro

Hi Bob,
I'll contact voipdiscount and see if I can get a better response and report back.
AFAIK they are just a reseller for betamax so they may not know too much about things, this may explain the poor response you got.
I'll see if I can find a contact for betamax and try them as well.
Yes they do have me registered as being in the UK but that may only apply to the browser based voip, I'm using the voip in my router.
Once my credit with them runs out I will be moving on anyway, but that may take a couple of months.
The problem is my next choice is another betamax reseller. Wink
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Yes, the one thing I take away from this thread is not to use VOIPDiscount. I wonder how many other people reading this thread will think the same. I also wonder if VOIPDiscount understand the impact of ignoring people like they seem to be doing.
It often takes a company being hit in the wallet before they do anything. Or maybe the negative publicity will be enough.
Maybe you should direct VOIPDiscount to this thread in your help request Smiley
npr
Pro

I've had a reply from voipdiscount support, unfortunately it's a standard cut and past from their script which does nothing to address the problem.
I've also contacted betamax's support, hopefully they will understand the issue a bit better.

Quote from: jafreer
Yes, the one thing I take away from this thread is not to use VOIPDiscount.

You should see my recent plusnet support ticket.    Angry
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Bob
Quote from: EnglishMohican
I have downloaded the cyberghost software onto my laptop. When I run the programme it puts up a screen with a big yellow button and a map. There is one of the location indicator balloons on the map and a statement "Your real location ..... " and quotes the IP number. As I type, that location is shown as in London so all is ok. On Friday, the location was shown as California.

Replicated that (attached), so I'll try and get in touch with them.

Response from Cyberghost as follows:
[quote author="Cyberghost"]Sorry for the long delay. Indeed, I can confirm that the Database we use is indeed based on Maxmind. The only problem was that it was not updated for some time.
Still, we've created a task for our developers to update it so it will soon be displayed OK.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

baldrick
Grafter

I am on 146.198.90.246 and am getting ludicrous shipping prices from Ebay, so I must be a victim.
If I upgrade to a fixed IP address is there any guarantee that I will get a genuine traditional UK IP address?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You should do. However disconnecting and reconnecting using the router UI will hopefully move you to a different range while Plusnet try to get the present problem resolved.
David
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

From all that has been seen, the problem is outside of PlusNET's domain.  It is so very often down to the third party's (in this case eBay) failure to update their geolocation database.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

npr
Pro

db-ip.com updated their data base on the 1/8/15 and it now shows the 146.198.0.0/16  block as being in the UK.
IP2location.com updated their data base on the 31/7/15 and it is now showing some of the 146.199.0.0/16 block as residing in California and some in the UK.
tested here: https://www.iplocation.net/
So some progress made. But it means nothing if the users of these data bases don't update at their end.
Note: I've had no sensible replies from support at voipdiscount and nothing from betamax.