Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Re: IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

Quote from: SE
146.199.106.43 You are in El Segundo
How silly of pn to do this

You might equally have said how silly of the website you were using to have relied on some presumption of where an IP is having not updated THEIR geo-location database.
IP addresses are reallocated all of the time - frequently issues such as the one you've reported are down to presumptions made by the business' applications.  This is why no matter where you are in the UK PlusNet's IP addresses report as London or Sheffield, rather than where YOU are.

All of that said, the implementation of a full IPv6 facility would start to address these issues... Now whatever did happen to that pilot?  Roll_eyes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Townman
All of that said, the implementation of a full IPv6 facility would start to address these issues... Now whatever did happen to that pilot?  Roll_eyes

I'd take a guess that the Pilot was ex Lufthansa  Grin
I'm surprised that IPv6 has not yet made it to product offering yet - will it ever?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

StuartUK35
Grafter

I got a USA IP addy (again !)
ISP picks up as  INFONET Services Corporation
Sucks as MW3 cant lock me on as host in game, not that I can play properly anyway with my really messed up Fibre Sad
StuartUK35
Grafter

am still on US  IP range Sad
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: StuartUK35
ISP picks up as  INFONET Services Corporation

It will do. As explained, the IP's are still registered to Infonet and there's no immediate plan to change this.
Sucks as MW3 cant lock me on as host in game...

You might need to elaborate on that a little. I'm not really an ardent gamer so I'm not sure of the mechanics of a MW3 match. Perhaps you can explain in a bit more detail?
... not that I can play properly anyway with my really messed up Fibre Sad

If you've a problem with the line itself, then are you sure this issue is solely down to the IP address you're assigned?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

thedyes0
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've had this twice recently... the first time I didn't get the IP or gateway but it was effecting teamspeak, it gave me an American flag and for some reason was rather laggy (not sure why)
The second time happened yesterday when doing a bet for a friend who doesn't have internet or pc/laptop, on the website: paddypower.com it rejected my bet based on my IP being from the USA where gambling is banned.
IP: 146.198.160.xxx
Gateway: ptw-bng01 (Telehouse West)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I can see the problem there - although the range is allocated to Plusnet according to Infonet, they seem to say they are in the US, a French site seem to think they belong to Western Power Corporation in El Segundo, Los Angeles, California so obviously something needs sorting out Huh
If you encounter issues like that and need to access the site refusing you, just change your dynamic IP address by doing a Gateway hop, log in to your router and go to the Internet Box and find the button to click Disconnect. This drops the PPP Internet session. Wait about 30 seconds and then Click Connect.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: thedyes0
I've had this twice recently... the first time I didn't get the IP or gateway but it was effecting teamspeak, it gave me an American flag and for some reason was rather laggy (not sure why)

Doesn't look like you're alone. I've also managed to replicate this myself so I'll try and reach out to Teamspeak and get something done about it.
The second time happened yesterday when doing a bet for a friend who doesn't have internet or pc/laptop, on the website: paddypower.com it rejected my bet based on my IP being from the USA where gambling is banned.
IP: 146.198.160.xxx

Struggling with this one. I've just signed up for a new Paddy Power account from an IP in the same subnet, deposited money into the account and placed a bet without any errors whatsoever Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

thedyes0
Rising Star

Quote from: Bob
Struggling with this one. I've just signed up for a new Paddy Power account from an IP in the same subnet, deposited money into the account and placed a bet without any errors whatsoever Huh

Weird... it definitely says it to me, I'll get my friend to re-use his account and see if it's fixed (he did email them telling them it was a British ip)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Doesn't look like you're alone. I've also managed to replicate this myself so I'll try and reach out to Teamspeak and get something done about it.

In fact, thinking about this one, the geo-location is probably dependent on the server. I seem to get both UK and US flags depending on the server I'm connecting to:

Looks like it's a job for the server admin, rather than Teamspeak themselves?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

thedyes0
Rising Star

In fact, thinking about this one, the geo-location is probably dependent on the server. I seem to get both UK and US flags depending on the server I'm connecting to:

Completely disagree, because I was on a server a few nights ago and my flag was USA, my connection dropped and my flag changed to UK.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Completely disagree, because I was on a server a few nights ago and my flag was USA, my connection dropped and my flag changed to UK.

I don't understand how that points to it being a Teamspeak issue?  Huh
You probably had a USA flag whilst assigned an IP from the 146.198.0.0/16, 146.199.0.0/16 or 146.200.0.0/16 subnets (these are the ones we know cause some issues).
Your connection drops, you reconnect to the same server, you're assigned an IP in a different subnet and your flag switches to UK.
The server you're connecting to is incorrectly identifying the first subnet as being geo-located  in the USA.
That's still an issue for the server admin to resolve unless every Teamspeak server somehow speaks to a geo-location database administered by Teamspeak (which looks unlikely, based on the fact I get different flags for different servers whilst assigned the same IP address).
This is what they had to say when I last reached out to them.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

gofaster
Rising Star

TeamSpeak embed the geolocation db from ip2location.com into the server. They update the data when they release new versions so the data used depends on which version of TeamSpeak the server is running.
We use an external service to resolve the country for users. This service needs a database, which is included in the server.
It's hardcoded and can not be replaced/updated from you.
We put the update of the flag database into the server, when a new server was released.
So always use the latest server to ensure it's the latest DB, before reporting here.
http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=downloads

Here is the way to solve this problem for a future server release. If the latest server did not solve your problem.
1. Visit http://www.ip2location.com/free.asp
2. Enter your Ip and check the result
3. Send your update and location to update@ip2location.com (update@ip2location.com)
We grab and use their updates, when we release a new server version.
There is nothing more, that we or you can do here.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: gofaster
TeamSpeak embed the geolocation db from ip2location.com into the server. They update the data when they release new versions so the data used depends on which version of TeamSpeak the server is running.

Excellent! Thanks for the clarification, that's very useful to know Smiley
@thedyes0, a lookup at ip2location.com returns the correct information, so once the admin updates the Teamspeak server to the latest version, the correct flag should be assigned regardless of your IP:

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

g1000
Grafter

My IP is 146.199.x.x
When I go to johnlewis.com it thinks I'm in the USA and asks if I want to deliver there.