Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Re: IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

Hi @onecwaddle,

A warm welcome to the forums.

@onecwaddle wrote:

I have been on their online chat and they say they can tell I am not in the US but their site thinks I am.  They have told me the only way to resolve it is to contact my Internet Service Provider. 

Unfortunately William Hill is giving you the run around here.  They have very clearly identified the issue here: THEIR SITE has got things wrong.  See https://db-ip.com/all/146.199.198

This very clearly shows that the IP address range you were using is located in the UK and belongs to Plusnet / BT.  That being the case, there is not likely to be anything that Plusnet can do - they do not know who WH uses for their geolocation data, even if they did, they cannot force WH to update their source of geolocation data.

The problem here is that WILLIAM HILL is using out of date geolocation data or bad geolocation data - some data providers are notorious for getting it wrong.  This thread shows multiple instances of different data provers getting the location correct, whilst (from the same data source) others get it wrong and cause the mayhem you are experiencing where a data user's inept support staff seek to blame someone else.

I wonder if @ScottStorey can illuminate here? Wink

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ScottStorey
Pro
Fixes: 1

I haven't worked for William Hill for a while now @Townman.

But, this was resolved while I was there. The geoblocking WH uses was updating automatically on a weekly basis (I see no reason why this would have changed).

They have to be accurate for compliance reasons with US regulations.

When I left they were using the maxmind database which does show as UK.
Depending on timing it could be a week or two for maxmind to be populated and then WH to update.

HTH
scrookes
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Thanks Scott,

Looks like things have changed since you left though.  Can you drop me a pm with any contacts you may have please?  Customer service there are giving me the run-around too.

onecwaddle

Turning off the router last night seems to have worked for now.  I should have added, I had been betting with William Hill at least weekly for over 2 years on line and this was the first instance of it happening in all that time. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Thank to @scrookes and @ScottStorey - what you two do not know about this space is not worth worrying about.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @onecwaddle, we've had a response advising that the cause of the issue should be resolved now. Could you let us know at your earliest convenience if the problem returns.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Mercifull

www.Merchoid.com thinks I'm in the states and displays all prices in dollars.

Also having problems with http://am-redirect.com generated urls as they always direct me to amazon.com instead of .co.uk

shedaisy

i've been with plusnet since October 2018 and recently I now have the problem that websites think I'm not in UK.  Shopping websites like  Next think I'm in USA, I have to constantly change currency options and just been on supersavvy website and offers not available for me as in Republic of Ireland.  Is there anyway to fix this issue? 

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @shedaisy, thanks for your post.

We're sincerely sorry to hear of this issue.

In the first instance and due to the line being on a 'Dynamic IP', we'd recommend rebooting the router as this will (with any luck) change the IP to one that isn't giving you these errors.

Once it's rebooted, try the Next site you've mentioned to see if anything's changed.

Please let us know here how you get on.

beefake

Hi.

Only joined up yesterday and the IP was UK based. Today the IP is BT Americas 150.143.245.249. I will reboot and let you know if it has changed.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,

A warm welcome t the forums.

That is simply a reference to the perceived owning ISP - these are IP ranges transferred from BT to Plusnet, but they all locate to the UK in geolocation data see https://www.iplocation.net/

beefake

Many thanks Townman. 

Yep, it does still seem to be the same even on reboot and as your link shows it is based in the UK. Was worried that it may affect my banking login but all is OK.

Thanks again for the speedy reply.

shedaisy

rebooting it doesn't work,I've rebooted it various time over the past couple of weeks as my son often can't get his mac to connect to internet and it hasn't worked or changed anything, Next, and other clothing websites (it seems to be ) think I'm in USA

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 247

Hi @shedaisy  Rather than just a reboot, try turning the router off for 65 minutes or longer to make sure your session expires - if you still have a problem, post back with the IP (redacting the last octet).

John
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Hi, Rebooting isn't likely to change your IP in this scenario, even if you leave it a while.

Is the US stuff causing you an issue beyond the pop ups?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager