cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

pipex

IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

Plusnet in there wisdom are now allocating US ip addresses this caused me big problems as when applying for credit cards or bank accounts were refused because of security checks identifying IP address as not UK based ie possible fraud. found this out by cunard web site which kept switching from co.uk to .com . after extensive checks and numerous phone calls including a visit from IT expert found it was on a US ip address. We also found out that plusnet has purchased a number of these from the US . Because I guess they have run out of UK IP addresses.  Pity they don't think of the implications of there action. Huh is this legal as american web rules are different from UK?Huh
jim:green title changed to make it more obvious mod:end
740 REPLIES 740
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: IP addresses not uk

I assume that you have changed your IP address as the one you are presently using is defined in RIPE as being Plusnet unless the sites you have problems with aren't keeping up to date
AndyH
Grafter

Is your IP range 146.198.0.0 - 146.198.255.255 (you can check here http://www.whatismyip.com)?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

for clarity at present it is the range 87.113 etc.
EDIT - number corrected need to get better glasses
pipex

of course i changed it to a uk IP address im just flagging it up for other users
Oldjim
Resting Legend

did you happen to notice which one it was
AndyH
Grafter

Plusnet need to clarify whether they are still using the Infonet IP range (146.198.0.0 - 146.198.255.255) because there was another user reporting this the other day http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,126149.msg1140225.html#msg1140225 It was my understanding that they were no longer using this range due to the issues with geolocation.
If you look at the ARIN database, there is no mention of Plusnet anymore as the network name - http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-146-198-0-0-1/pft
If Plusnet are using this range (which they shouldn't be) and it's causing people to be refused credit/bank accounts due to the registered IP address, then it's a very serious issue. If you get a black flag for attempted fraud on your credit rating, it can be very difficult to have it removed.
pipex

unfortunately the engineer showed me the US script for clearly stating US then corrected it and showed me it stated UK , corrected it by restarting the router. . My main interest was correcting the problem and calling plusnet many names.
AndyH
Grafter

This is what Adam C said on the previous thread (which would lead me to believe that Plusnet are still using that Infonet range):
Quote from: Adam
Thanks for flagging this up to us. I can confirm that we have switched the details over for these IP ranges however there are a few companies out there that may still be using an out of date database for these, as such it seems Dropbox is one of them and are still seeing these addresses as being our in the USA.

The problem is this range has not been switched over - it's still registered to Infonet in the ARIN database and it's not registered with RIPE.
pipex

I will be watching these ip address very carefully in the future, fortunately no black flag but has blocked cards being used by my bank. PITY PLUSNET CANT EXPLAIN THERE ACTIONS ive tried but no joy. My engineer thinks that its a money saving decision as its cheaper to buy IP addresses from US. Maybe ive opened a can of worms!!!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I doubt it is a money saving decision - more the fact that IP4 addresses are running out and Plusnet haven't started using IP6 address systems
Before you ask I have no idea why not or what the problems stopping them are other than I don't think my router supports them at present
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It's the 146.200.*.* range of IP addresses, which do have some Plusnet details but also INFONET, I don't think Plusnet have ever used the 146.198.*.* range.
AndyH
Grafter

@ ejs - Thanks, not sure where I got the 146.198.*.* range from.
The issue is that in ARIN's database, the organisation that owns the range is shown as:
Name INFONET Services Corporation
Handle INFO
Street 2160 East Grand Avenue
City El Segundo
State/Province CA
Postal Code 90245-1022
Country US
Registration Date
Last Updated 2011-11-30

If this is causing Plusnet users to fail bank/credit card credit checks, then Plusnet either have to stop using the range or update the details so they are registered owner. If you apply for a credit card and it's refused, it will stay on your credit file and will be very very difficult to have this removed. If it shows the reason for the refusal (as possible fraud due to a foreign IP address), then it's even worse.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Is the issue here that 146/8 is owned (administered) by ARIN the AMERICAN registers?
Even if PN get the registration records fixed with ARIN (which have not been touched since 2003) will not the fact that this ip range is on the AMERICAN register still present problems?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: AndyH
Plusnet need to clarify whether they are still using the Infonet IP range (146.198.0.0 - 146.198.255.255) because there was another user reporting this the other day http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,126149.msg1140225.html#msg1140225 It was my understanding that they were no longer using this range due to the issues with geolocation.

No, we are not using those ranges. We are however using 146.200.0.0/16 which was formerly assigned to Infonet (I think we also have 146.199.0.0/16 but it's not in use yet).
Quote from: AndyH
The issue is that in ARIN's database, the organisation that owns the range is shown as:
Name INFONET Services Corporation

It's a bit of a mish-mash TBH.
Whilst these IP's admittedly caused a lot of headaches when first introduced, the vast majority of Geo-location services are now recognising them as UK-based. If you encounter any problematic sites then we could do with knowing about them. We'd need to know the address of the site you're trying to access, the IP you're assigned and the gateway you're connected to.
In the meantime, I'll query why the ARIN records still reference Infonet.
The introduction of these IP's are nothing to do with cost-cutting BTW Roll_eyes

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵