cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How's About Some Love For Existing Customers?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: How's About Some Love For Existing Customers?

It's the same I believe for mobile phone companies.

When you ask for an upgrade on a phone, they look through your account history. If for example you were spending the minimum, say £30 per month you might get something, but not much.

If another customer was spending £100 per month, then they would get a better deal than the £30 one and of course they'd want them on a contract.

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"The current products offered to new customers promise "End of contract reminder and account review" which would hopefully address that, at least to some extent."

In the scenario I described it wouldn't be addressed at all. It was not an end of contract minimum term but less than halfway through and in response to the last price rise e-mail.

The customer, me, had been with PN for five and a half years and prior to that, as a PN customer since they took over Madasafish. So, as I stated, more or less - o.k. then, off you trot with no attempt at retention.Crazy2

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I notice new PN contracts now come with a fixed price for the duration of the contract.

Offering an email service is another way to keep customers, since it's more of a hassle to switch if you have to move all your emails.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Purchasing your own domain or using gmail, for example, is another way of saving some hassle.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

billnotben
Community Veteran

@Jonpe wrote:

I notice new PN contracts now come with a fixed price for the duration of the contract.

I suppose that means those on old contracts or out of contract end up with even more, and higher, price hikes. Carrying on their subsidy to new contracts to even greater levels.

Jonpe
Hero

Someone always pays.  The Options Team might be less generous in what they offer once the original contract expires, or new deals from a few months before the rise might be slightly higher in order to avoid a situation where a lot of people sign up for a 24-month contract the day before the price rise in order to save the £1/month or whatever.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@billnotben wrote:

@Jonpe wrote:

I suppose that means those on old contracts or out of contract end up with even more, and higher, price hikes. Carrying on their subsidy to new contracts to even greater levels.

I'm genuinely not sure what the answer is here?

• if we put the price up mid contract it's unfair.
  • if we don't put the prices up mid contract it's unfair.

Fixed term contracts are something we've been working on for several months, part of the reason for their creation and the additional elements to the product like letting customers know before the end of their contracts and offering personalised account reviews at the end of the contract heavily influenced by customer feedback from these boards.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
billnotben
Community Veteran

@JonoH wrote:

I'm genuinely not sure what the answer is here?

How about an even playing field. One where the old don't subsidise the new.

Of course I realise that a businesses main concern is to maximise profits. And trying to balance other customers concerns fairness good value top service is practically an impossible juggling act.

Jonpe
Hero

For what it's worth I think it was a good decision by PN since another low-cost provider is already offering no-increase guaranteed contracts.  The end of contract reminder and account review is also a good idea in my view.  Both these measures will see far fewer people resorting to this forum, and the call centre, in order to find out why the price has gone up.

Alex
Community Veteran

This is why I hate contracts.

Not longer being under contract my ISP has put the price up by £3 a month, oooh is that all Richard Branson Angry

(you can guess now who I mean),

Contracts are not flexible in case you want to move, say if you see a better deal elsewhere and also if your personal circumstances change such as you have to move home. Even if it wasn't something you'd planned.

I can't help thinking RB's price hikes for me are subsidising the people who are on contract and they can't increase the price for someone who is (aside for RPI I believe).

Mind you it is not just ISP's - same for things like mobile phones I guess.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

It’s a challenging balance - the consumer wants everything on the cheap and billing dates deferred until they find payment convenient.

Often up front costs need to be factored into the monthly charges throughout the length of the contract, so minimum durations are essential to recoup those costs.

As with nearly any supply business, there’s discounts available if you’re willing to enter into a long term deal. Pay as you use has always had a cost burden.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran

Yes I see what you mean @Townman

I guess it can be considered as a discount, but a price not rising for youself technically is.

I just don't like the business model of penalising customers who are not on contract for the ones who are. Either the costs have risen, or the management are going to have a few brown envelopes exchanged and a very nice Christmas party.

(This is not aimed at PlusNet by the way - I am talking about business in general).

madra
Grafter

Previously:

I got my monthly payments reduced by £8 and locked in at that price for the next 18 months...

Well. That was a complete waste of time.  I've just received my bill for September today and it's exactly the same amount as it was before,

2018-09-10_10-07-57.png

I was assured when I re-negotiated the monthly payments in mid August that the new rate would be effective from the following month.

Not a happy bunny.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hi @madra 

I've looked at your account and can see what was agreed. Everything was processed correctly but it looks like the discounts just haven't added. I've arranged for you to be refunded the £8.00 additional and for the discount to be reapplied. If you have any further issues please let me know Smiley 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
madra
Grafter

Thanks @JonoH for the fast response.

You'll understand if I hold off marking this as 'Solved' again until everything is sorted out and the new billing amount confirmed.  "Many a slip..." and all that.