cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much should I take? When will enough be enough? PROBLEMS RESOLVED

Flashfly

How much should I take? When will enough be enough? PROBLEMS RESOLVED

My experience of Plusnet so far has been woeful.
We moved house just over three weeks ago.  In the old property we were with TalkTalk and were ready for a change.  Prior to the move I spoke to Plusnet and signed up to their top-end deal.  As I expected there would need to be two engineer visits to establish our phone and broadband. The first to sort the line out, and the next to enable to broadband.  Our problems started with the second engineer's visit.  He found the line to be dead and so couldn't do anything.  Another week's wait for two further appointments for the line to be fixed and then the engineer to visit to install the broadband. This time there was a problem with the PCP (the green box on the street?) with claims he couldn't access it.  Another conversation with Plusnet ensured the problem was escalated and a further appointment was scheduled for last Friday afternoon.  The engineer didn't show up.  There were no phonecalls, no apologies, nothing.  I raised this with Plusnet and they promised a response within 48hrs. 48hrs has come and gone and I'm still waiting.
We have now been without broadband for nearly 4 weeks. How much longer should I wait?  Me and my family have not only been inconvenienced but are now becoming more and more out of pocket.  These appointments have required rescheduled work, additional childcare, and increased mobile phone costs for calls and data usage.  This all amounts to in excess of £100 so far.
How much more should we have to put up with before I terminate the contract?  Plusnet have threatened this would cost us £100+, but frankly, with the stress of it all, it'd probably be worth it.
I moved to Plusnet to escape TalkTalk and their customer service issues.....what a mistake I made.
Over to you Plusnet......Do Me Proud.
I'll update this thread as the situation develops.  I hope this provides some use to those with similar problems, or those thinking of joining Plusnet from elsewhere.
(Ticket number 73492326 & 73495122)
15 REPLIES 15
Flashfly

Re: How much should I take? When will enough be enough?

Mod - thanks for moving this thread.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

How can they charge £100 for a service they have not provided. I think someone is trying to con you.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@glloyd
nah he's saying its cost him over £100 to utilize mobile services to cover the fact there has been no service from PlusNet
TBH I suspect the problem would be/have been the same regardless of which Telco/isp had been used to facilitate the move, the reason being BTOR or there subcontractors provide the engineer's who are clearly the ones failing in there ability to provide the service requested
and whilst it sucks ass its not an uncommon problem when moving house for BTOR to screw around and fail to show up (often blaming a 3rd party for failures)
I hope you get sorted out though Flashfly
the service from PlusNet is generally very good, and certainly better than other isp's I've used in the past
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Dhaos
Grafter

@nanotm
Quote from: Flashfly
How much more should we have to put up with before I terminate the contract?  Plusnet have threatened this would cost us £100+, but frankly, with the stress of it all, it'd probably be worth it.

He is saying plusnet will charge him over £100 to cancel his contract, on top of the £100 he has paid juggling work etc for engineer appointments. If it was me i would probably bite the bullet and cancel but tbh, if its faults of the engineers not turning up then you may have the same problem if you go with another company.
Flashfly

Thanks for the interest so far. 
I probably could have made it clearer.  After the engineer's visit where he couldn't access the PCP I rang Plusnet to complain ask about leaving and what costs would be incurred if I did.  I was advised that I'd be out of pocket by something around £140.  So it seems I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.  I appreciate, thanks to this forum, that BTOR are probably the ones to blame, but as a Plusnet customer I'm hoping they have the muscle to make things happen better than they are doing now.  Plusnet have failed to respond to my questions in the timescales they promised, and also have showed little sympathy towards the costs I've incurred.
Fingers crossed I get some positive news soon.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Sorry to hear of the delays and inconvenience you've encountered.
I'm chasing this up to see what I can do to rectify the situation and I'll provide a update as soon as I can.
deathtrap
Grafter

So from what you have said, you placed an order with plusnet for Voice and broadband, your activation dates have elapsed and you have not as yet got a working broadband or voice service on the line,due to BT openreach's failure ?
Yet when you enquired about cancelling these products you where informed that doing so would cost you £140 ?
If both the services you ordered have as yet not been activated then i don't see how plusnet or any other SP can charge for the remainder of the contract, as so far  because  the ordered services have not been supplied any contract is null and void, and i would say ,legally you could walk away without paying a penalty, as for potential charges from BT openreach to plusnet, They should be charging BT openreach
RE  the line
After the TT services where ceased the line would be dead, as it would need to be re connected to BT Wholesale's equipment in the exchange  that should then be all that is required to get the PSTN voice service working,( Working line takeover) no need for engineers visits to your home required unless there is a fault  with the line,or in the rare case that another engineer has nicked your d side pair from the PCP to your home,  or unless  someone at Plusnet ordered a new line install ?
Again an order for ADSL broadband does bot normally require an engineer visit at your home. where as currently FTTC/H broadband does ,
Flashfly

Thank you Chris Purvey at Plusnet. It is now Tuesday and I've not been told why the engineer did not show on Friday.
Thanks also Deathtrap for the post. We moved home and left TalkTalk when we left the old property. Plusnet are (at this moment anyway) to provide us our phone and broadband at the new home. The phone line is now established and this took a couple of weeks to sort out. The broadband is the latest frustration with no quick and simple solution on the horizon.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Apologies for the wait, we've been chasing our suppliers. One of my colleagues will be in-touch in the next few minutes.
Flashfly

Thank you Chris.
Another appointment now booked for Thursday afternoon.  The engineer didn't turn up last Friday as the slot was never actually booked with them!  So glad I rearranged that childcare and work to be at home for the visit.
Keeping my fingers crossed...
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If Plusnet breach the contract between you and them, then you owe nothing.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Let me know how it goes tomorrow, I'll keep an eye on your account to make sure all is still ok.
Flashfly

Today's appointment started badly.  The same engineer turned up that couldn't find the PCP last time.  To his credit he had come to tell us that he still didn't know where it was and so he wouldn't be able to complete the work.  He admitted that he'd lied to us last time saying the box was vandalised as he was ashamed he couldn't locate it. He was ready to drive off, and maybe that was because I had become a little irate, but I convinced him that we should hunt for the box together.  Whilst we walked this chap openly admitted that he'd had many issues with this box before.  He claimed that around 10 jobs couldn't be completed as he couldn't find it.  He'd asked his boss to refuse any further jobs in our area that required access to this box.  
Guess what?  We found the box, much to this chap's relief.
So whilst I'm annoyed by the delay, the lies, and the leg work required by me; I also feel a little sorry for this chap.  How is a third party firm, working on behalf of BTOR, supposed to locate the correct PCP?  Who actually is to blame?  
So finally we now have internet access.  I'm hoping this is the last of the negative experiences with Plusnet.  I shall be pursuing a formal complaint and writing in depth summarising our experiences and frustrations.  Unless there is a very good reason not to I'd like to do this via letter.  Please advise me of the appropriate person to send this complaint to.
Regards,
Flashfly.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Glad to hear that you eventually got connected today. It sounds a strange issues with the cabinet, this is something I can push back to our suppliers to see why this is the case.
If you do wish to complain the process can be found here. If you like I'm happy to discuss this with you if needed as I have familiarised myself with your case.
I appreciate and understand your frustration regarding this.