cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much is used?

alanproctors

How much is used?

What's been the busiest day this year? I saw an item on a site earlier that said it's reached over 20G just for Netflix
8 REPLIES 8
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: How much is used?

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
The busiest day was actually last Sunday. With a growing customer base and growing demand the busiest day is usually within a couple of weeks of when you ask, however what makes Sunday stand out more than any other was the start of the football season, some schools in Scotland are back, people in England, Wales and Northern Ireland will be coming back from summer holidays and the weather wasn't that great. Nice weather means people go out more, when it's not so nice they stay home and watch Netflix, YouTube and iPlayer.
I'm expecting Sunday's traffic to be beaten on bank holiday Monday.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
TORPC
Grafter

Now that I wait to see
Look forward to your update (either way) Wink
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

And I was right, Monday's demand was almost 10% higher than the previous Sunday. A wet bank holiday, football and Doctor Who all adds up to extra traffic.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
picbits
Rising Star

Quote from: dave
.....  and Doctor Who all adds up to extra traffic.

You'd think that being a Timelord and having his own Tardis, he wouldn't use much internet. How do you manage to keep his broadband going when he's in another dimension ?
TORPC
Grafter

For previous dimension(s) they use BTOpenreach infrastructure,  Lips_are_sealed
For future dimensions
Goodness knows Tongue
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

A sub-space carrier wave maybe Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I can only imagine that he has a hyperspace VPN which tunnels through the space-time continuum acting as a portal and providing access to sub atomic particles all over the universe and beyond. The tardis having it's incredible abilities can then detech the appropriate particles and reconstruct the data transmitted to and from it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

On a slightly more serious note, thanks for the info Dave.    For anyone interested you can see some usage graphs here.
I do wish someone would fix the graphing errors though.
Edit: I've attached some screen grabs from yesterday, for anyone that reads later. They are showing the Bank Holiday Monday peak on the LHS. Sorry the scaling isn't as tidy as it should have been, didn't have time to sort it out.