Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long before Plusnet put up their prices to follow big brother

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

How long before Plusnet put up their prices to follow big brother

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/apr/29/bt-customers-face-summer-price-rises

BT said the cost of making a call to UK landlines and 0870 numbers will go from 10.24p a minute to 11p. Set up fees will also rise, from 17.07p to 19p, meaning a one minute call from a BT landline will cost a minimum of 30p. The price of the popular Unlimited Anytime Calls plan, which gives unlimited calls to most UK landlines, is increasing by 6.9%.

Most BT broadband customers – 6.2 million – use the copper network, the standard price for which will go from £13 to £15. Another 3.7 million use fibre broadband, branded Infinity, and will see their bills rise an average of £2.05.

217 REPLIES 217
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: How long before Plusnet put up their prices to follow big brother

Less than 4 weeks is my bet.

And then TT , Sky, etc will follow quickly.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Full details http://www.telegraph.co.uk/bills-and-utilities/phone/bt-increases-cost-of-landline-broadband-calls-a...

Breakdown of the price increases

• Standard line rental is going up by £1 per month to £18.99 from £17.99 
  • Line Rental Plus customers – who pay a premium for call barring services and priority line fixing – will also pay £1 more a month, from £19.99 to £20.99 per year
  • Line Rental Saver offers 10pc discount to customers who pay upfront for a year, saving £22.80.
  • The cost of BT Basic (its phone service for low-income customers) is not changing and remains at £5.10 per month
  • Broadband is going up for the majority of customers
  • Standard broadband is going up from £13 to £15 per year (although, BT says customers will receive 20pc extra usage allowance and security upgrades, worth £43 per year)
  • Unlimited broadband is going up from £13 to £18 per year
  • Infinity 1 is increasing from £20 to £21, Unlimited Infinity 1 is increasing from £23 to £26 and Unlimited Infinity 2 is going up from £30 to £32.50
  • BT Sport is going up bt £1 per month. It remains free for BT broadband and TV customers. 
  • The  call set-up fee is going up from 17.07p to 19p
  • Calls to UK landlines and 0870 numbers are going up from 10.24p to 11p per minute
  • The Unlimited Anytime Calls plan is going up from £7.95 to £8.50 per month
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Mid July-ish...  It seems to me the price rise on average is every 11 months. 

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

• Standard broadband is going up from £13 to £15 per year (although, BT says customers will receive 20pc extra usage allowance and security upgrades, worth £43 per year)
  • Unlimited broadband is going up from £13 to £18 per year

An error in the article?

Plusnet line rental 'always' increases just too early for me to renew my line rental saver at the old price. Cry

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

It will go up soon as.

Followed by lots of "free broadband" offers.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Whilst the government and others are encouraging more people and in particular the elderly to get on line these price increases are unlikely to encourage people at a time when most peoples income is not rising at the same rate as these increases.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Well all of these crass stupid free boardband and TV package deals need to be paid for somehow.

When these TV bundles were originally muted, I did say that the rest of us would pay for other's "free lunches" - seems I was not wrong.  This increase is way above annual inflation, let alone the increase in the 9 months since the pervious price change.  Incomes have typically risen by only 1%.

Anyone noticed how BT Retail's price hikes arrive earlier each year .. Dec, Sept and now July.  What's the betting on next year's?  April?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Come 2018 they'll have to have 2 'Annual' price increases in the same year at that rate.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

another set but doesn't include the changes to anytime calls  http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7406-line-rental-and-broadband-price-rises-on-the-way-to-bt-retai...

The majority of the latest round of price rises take effect on 3rd July 2016 and the list of key changes is:

• Line rental going up to £18.99/month from £17.99/month
  • Line rental saver rises to £205.08 (equivalent of £17.09/month
  • Call set up fee rises to 19p
  • Weekday calls will be 11p/minute
  • BT Kids, Kids Extra and Music rising to £4/month
  • Standard price for Unlimited ADSL2+ will be £20/month
  • Standard price for Unlimited Infinity 1 will be £26/month
  • Standard price for Unlimited Infinity 2 will be £32.50/month
  • Standard price for Unlimited Infinity 3 will be £45/month
  • Standard price for Unlimited Infinity 4 will be £52/month
  • BT Total Entertainment will be £16/month
richald
Dabbler

I think I have all or most of the (annual?) emails informing of price rises - I shall dig them out, since I suspect that the rate the charges have been increasing well outstrips inflation - I'm not bothered about what BT charges but I don't think plusnet can justify slavishly following them - and yes I know that plusnet is owned by BT

godsell4
Rising Star

How will BT increase usage allowances on an already 'unlimited' account?

--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
AlaricAdair
Champion

I have an alternative broadband service in place and operational. I'm also outside the PN contract period. So I can switch away instantly with no loss of connectivity. It will be interesting to see what PN tries to do with my subscription fees.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@godsell4 wrote:

How will BT increase usage allowances on an already 'unlimited' account?

they will increase the fair use policy cap from 100gb/mth to 150gb/mth ?

when the country votes ot leave the EU perhaps we can renationalise BT lower the prices and monopolise the service afterall a national company doesn't require to feed millions into the bank accounts of over priced managers (civil service pay tops out around 140k a year..... not a couple of million a year) nor chase extra cash for the share holders bubbly ....

who knows it might even employ people instead of contracting out to minimise the pension hit so the top level can take another couple of mill a year in bonuses, meaning they can actually roll out upgrades on time and still perform maintenance in a timely fashion .....

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you