cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How close should my speed be to Plus Nets Estimate

sbsdegb1
Grafter

How close should my speed be to Plus Nets Estimate

Hi just after some feedback from users who were given an estimated speed. I am getting half of the estimate I was given. Given that the estimate was also a factor in me changing providers I am interested to know if anyone else was given inflated estimated speeds.
Cheers
39 REPLIES 39
TicnTac
Grafter

Re: How close should my speed be to Plus Nets Estimate

Grin
Pinch of salt, remember it is a BT line, if you can throw a stone and hit your exchange, you might be in for a chance, although saying that I had an SFI round saying he worked at a house behind the exchange and still couldn't get a sync.  Roll_eyes
Rough guide, normally you should get a little over if you are very lucky, ie: 2000 you might get 3663 for example, or you might get 7 months worth of line problems and a banded profile that will give little more than dial up speeds!  Wink
If you are getting half, wait a little longer, check your router stats, ring Tech up, plug into the master socket behind the faceplate, wait another 72 hours, see if it improves, if not, tech is probably a must, 7 months later, you might still be posting on this forum  Grin
Best of luck!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried putting your downstream attenuation into the Kitz calculator ? - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
This tool gives a reasonable estimate, but assumes there are no problems with your setup, i.e. -
-    your incoming phone line is noise free,
-    your router configuration is set perfectly and that you leave it powered on ALL THE TIME !!!.
-    your internal extension wiring is filtered, removed, or using cat5 cable.,
-    there is no electrical interference in your property, especially near the router - use mains filters or a UPS.
-    that your exchange is not overloaded, see http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
-    that your filters are all working as they should, have some spares so you can try swapping them.
-    and that your router is plugged into the master phone socket, preferably using a proper filtered faceplate - http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php
So if you have met all the requirements of this list, then you should be close to the Kitz estimate.
sbsdegb1
Grafter

Thanks for your responses. I haven't done a proper speed check but my router is reporting 440k up and 8124 down. However I know this isn't the speed I will get so I will have to do a few more in depth tests. However Plusnet estimated my speed to be 15mb which I am getting nothing near.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

can you post your full router stats, this will give us an idea of what line you are on, the 15 Mb is an ADSL2 figure, the 8128 is plain ADSL or ADSL Max
sbsdegb1
Grafter

Ok I will try to get the stats on here tonight. I am just miffed they estimated my speed at 15. If I knew I couldn't get this I would have stayed with my old provider and not had a month without broadband.
sbsdegb1
Grafter

From my Router
ADSL Current Status Table 
Item Value
ADSL Line Type GDMT
ADSL Line CodingADSL Line Coding INTERLEAVED
Line Attenuation (Down):27  (Up):13
Noise Margin (Down):9  (Up):24
Total Output Power (Down):0  (Up):0
Current State DownStr: 8064(K)  UpStr: 448(K)
undefined UP
FEC(FAST) (Near):0  (Far):0
FEC(INTERL) (Near):0  (Far):53
CRC(FAST) (Near):0  (Far):0
undefined (Near):2  (Far):2
HEC(FAST) (Near):0  (Far):0
HEC(FAST) (Near):0  (Far):0
Showtime last(sec) 0
ADSL FW Version 0.52
ADSL Board Type Annex A
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Are you on ADSL2? If you are you should not be using G.DMT.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

it should be more like G.992.5 annex A
sbsdegb1
Grafter

I am not sure what I should be on at the moment. I assumed ADSL2 when they gave me a 15mb estimate. However I had an email today saying that the estimate was 8mb and I was getting 7.15. So I called and pointed out that the original email said 15 and not 8. I was getting 8 before and one of the reasons I swithced was to try to get a faster speed as estimated. Before I had a static IP , a contention ratio of 20-1 and unlimited bandwith albeit for a fiver more a month.
I have raised a support ticket to ask why I was given a high estimate.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Putting your router stats into the Kitz broadband speed estimation tool you get -

As has been pointed out to you already -
1)  The speed estimate of 15000Kbps is probably accurate, assuming all the precautions I posted earlier, and that your exchange can supply ADSL2.
2)  If your router is using G.DMT then you will never get more than 7150Kbps actual download speed - assuming a max sync of 8128Kbps at the router.
3)  Try setting your router for ADSL2+ and you  might find it works.
4)  You might also want to add to your open ticket a question of why is your connection "INTERLEAVED", as that won't be helping either !.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

give this one ago, then we can see what your exchange is capable of  http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search
Anonymous
Not applicable

The other obvious point that we have all missed so far, is whether or not "sbsdegb1"s router is even capable of more than 8128Kbps ?
- as we still don't know the router make, model, or firmware version !.
sbsdegb1
Grafter

Hi My router is a Linksys WAG 354G which is supposed to be ADSL2 compliant. As for firmware I am not sure which version. I will check at lunchtime and see. Perhaps it needs a firmware update.  If so I will do this on lunch too. Will let you know if I receive any faster speeds after that.
UPDATE..... Firmware Version: 1.01.54 
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just downloaded the handbook for your Linksys WAG354G, and it should be capable of ADSL2+.
HOWEVER on the page that refers to the PPPoA settings, there does not appear to be an option for setting the "DSL Modulation Mode".
I have always used Linksys gateways, and it is often the case that the handbook screenshot does not correspond to what is actually there !
On my WAG54G the "DSL Modulation Mode" can be selected from a drop down list -

and the options available are -
1)  MultiMode
2)  T1.413
3)  G.dmt
4)  G.lite
5)  ADSL2
6)  ADSL2+

So ideally you need to find out how to set the Modulation Mode,  OR  get PlusNet to confirm what they believe your telephone line is actually set to, because if they say 20CN ADSL then you need to be transferred to 21CN ADSL2.