Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House Move - Update on connection?

custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: House Move - Update on connection?

Just an update after work done by BTOR today:
The ducting between the on-site DS and the opposite side of the road where the live cable is located is blocked below the drop-curb that gives access to the site's paved area. This will need ground-work to remedy. However the BTOR engineer has now connected drop wires to all 4 homes on the site so at least we will be ready once the blockage is cleared and the final cable installed to the local DP.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Quote from: AndyH
The developer puts everything in, ready for Openreach to connect houses up. However before Openreach signs off the site and takes it over, they need to be happy with everything. It's not uncommon on large developments for there to be issues that need to be resolved before Openreach takes over.
If there are issues with the quality of work done by the developers or delays, then it will have a knock on effect on Openreach's planning. It's no different really to other utilities.

Quote from: AlaricAdair
the normal protocol is for the developer to build the ducting, man-holes, cable entries in the buildings/homes. BT have published standards for this type of work. It avoids roads/pavements being dug up by BT to provide services to the buildings. BT then run their cables through the new ducts up to and into the buildings.

And exactly how is this different to that required for Gas, Electricity and Water?
There is an implication in these answers which implies that contractors are incapable of getting right it for Openreach, yet they always seem to have it right for the other utilities, as you hardly ever hear of people moving into a new build needing to wait weeks for the power company to come along and connect the property to the grid.
These problems only seen to occur with BTOR - is it really the claim here that the contractors can get it right with every other service provider but always seem to screw you on the phone services?  I don't think so!  Huh

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Isn't it obvious? The difference is that the gas, electricity and water pipes, cables and meters get put in and connected during the building work. They don't leave empty ducts ready for some electricity cables in case someone wants electricity in their new home.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
And exactly how is this different to that required for Gas, Electricity and Water?

Who puts in the new connections, the developer or contractors on behalf of the utilities?
custos
Aspiring Pro

"And exactly how is this different to that required for Gas, Electricity and Water?"
The very point I was making Townman - I see no reason at all why BTOR should be any different than the other utilities! How many people on a new estate will not want a phone line for goodness sake!
Addendum: Actually BTOR have now run drop wires to all the properties, even the one that is not yet occupied. The engineer told me that was the normal procedure so it would not seem to be dependent on a customer ordering a connection.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

People might not need a landline if they've got a mobile phone and could get better broadband from cable, or only make light use of the Internet on their smartphone over 3G/4G.
custos
Aspiring Pro

BOT (Back On Topic) - don't you just love all these abbreviations?
X now marks the spot!
Today, BTOR have marked an X on the road where the hole needs to be dug to clear the blockage in the duct!
I have just bought another 2GB of mobile data!
custos
Aspiring Pro

Latest tosh from BTOR:
Hello Geoffrey,
I've been monitoring the development you asked about and unfortunately the expected completion date that we advised has passed but we’ve not yet been able to fully complete the work required.
I’m unable to provide a new date straight away and we’re working with our Planning Team in order to find out the reason for the delay and get a date for you. We'll be in touch again as soon as we can provide a further update.
We'll also keep your chosen service provider informed about the progress of your specific order so they'll be able to keep you updated also and should remain your primary point of contact.
Thanks,
Openreach Newsite Development Queries Team

I know the reason the work has not been completed (see my previous post) so it is obviously silly that BTOR claim they don't! If they are only giving the same non information to Plusnet then it is hardly surprising that Plusnet have nothing to tell me. X still marks the spot!
AndyH
Grafter

You're aware that blocked duct issues are most of the time dealt with by external contractors? In the case of new builds, this is quite often placed back in the hands of the developer to resolve.
custos
Aspiring Pro

The cable ducting was installed by BTOR - I watched them at work. The blockage is below a public road/footpath and half way between two BT underground chambers. My point is that BTOR know what the problem is and that the duct needs to be cleared before the final length of cable can be laid to the site DP.  A hole has to be dug, frankly I don't care who digs it but all we have so far is a white painted X on the road! More action and less prevarication would be welcome 🙂
I am reminded of a song from yesteryear - 'Right Said Fred' (Bernard Cribbins)
dick:quote
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

You're aware that blocked duct issues are most of the time dealt with by external contractors? In the case of new builds, this is quite often placed back in the hands of the developer to resolve.

Andy,
Your comment so clearly illuminates the major problems in this industry where no supplier in the service supply chain - from an ISP / CP (for example PlusNET) to BTw to BTOR to their sub contractors has any control on the timely delivery of service.
Any user not as well informed and aware as is this OP would (arguably fairly) be just blaming PlusNET for non delivery, when as you've indicated the blame us is with an earthworks contractor over whom no one has any apoarent apparent influence.  When BTOR does not know what's happening how do users expect an ISP to have the information they (reasonably) expect to be available?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: custos
The cable ducting was installed by BTOR - I watched them at work. The blockage is below a public road/footpath and half way between two BT underground chambers. My point is that BTOR know what the problem is and that the duct needs to be cleared before the final length of cable can be laid to the site DP.  A hole has to be dug, frankly I don't care who digs it but all we have so far is a white painted X on the road! More action and less prevarication would be welcome 🙂

Have Plusnet not given you any meaningful information when you've rung them? Can you see any planned works on http://www.roadworks.org ?
There can be a very long list of reasons why the work has not been done yet (some completely out of the control of Openreach or the contractors). Plusnet should be able to find out some information (they were able to for me and my blockage).
adie:green fixed quote
custos
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Townman

Andy,
Your comment so clearly illuminates the major problems in this industry where no supplier in the service supply chain - from an ISP / CP (for example PlusNET) to BTw to BTOR to their sub contractors has any control on the timely delivery of service.
Any user not as well informed and aware as is this OP would (arguably fairly) be just blaming PlusNET for non delivery, when as you've indicated the blame us with an earthworks contractor over whom no one has any apoarent influence.  When BTOR does not know what's happening how do users expect an ISP to have the information they (reasonably) expect to be available?

Absolutely -  I have never blamed PlusNet but I am fortunate that I have been on site when BTOR have been working and therefore do know what the problem is. What happens next and when will I and my neighbours actually get connected? It would be nice if BTOR would tell us!
custos
Aspiring Pro

Another week has passed with no updates from either PlusNet or BTOR and no action on site at all - X still marks the spot! There are three homes waiting for a small hole to be dug and a blockage cleared in a duct and they are all waiting for 'updates' and none are being given any details at all as to why the work is not proceeding - absolutely disgraceful!
custos
Aspiring Pro

A few days ago I had this text from PlusNet:
[Sms Message: Thanks for your patience,We are currently awaiting an update from our supplier on the outstanding plant work for our order. We should have this in 72 working hours.We will continue to monitor this.I am sorry for this delay. Plusnet.]
At first it seemed straightforward but then I realised that it was a slightly strange statement. Is '72 working hours' the same as 3 working days? How long is a 'working day' and what days are classed as 'working' ones'? As 5 days have now passed without any further update have '72 working hours' passed or not?