Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House Move - Update on connection?

custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

House Move - Update on connection?

I moved into a new house on the first of the month and would love an update on when I might get a phone line and Internet. However I simply can't wait for an hour in a queue on a mobile to talk to someone. Can anybody help please? My user Name is watts46.
146 REPLIES 146
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: House Move - Update on connection?

Hi,
When you say 'new' house, do you mean a brand new build or simply a house new to you?
If it's new build, then the answer will very much be predicated on what the building contractor has done.  It would be wise to ask if they have laid ducts for phone cables through the build?  Have wires been pulled through the ducts to each property?
Provision to new builds can be very protracted - BTOR have a contact page for customers in new build properties.  Until BTOR sugnoff the infrastructure there is no telling how long it will take, regardless of the ISP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear about the delays.
Unfortunately as your property is a new build it can take some time to get the services installed.
As soon as we have a update we'll let you know.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

It always amazes me that builders are allowed to release houses to the market without full services being installed. They wouldn't be allowed to sell a new house which didn't have running water, drainage & electricity so why not an essential like a telephone line, particularly when access to the internet is so important.
custos
Aspiring Pro

Yes it is a new build, actually a small development of 4 houses. To be fair to the developer, all the necessary ducting has been installed and there is a large access cover marked BT just a few metres from my front door. I watched the trenches dug and can trace them across the road to another BT access cover and onwards to a junction box. The area is FTTC enabled and less than a mile from the local exchange. A neighbour has just told me that large cables were being fed into the ducting via the access point outside of my house yesterday so I assume that progress is being made. The most frustrating thing is not getting regular updates - my last update was 2 weeks ago.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Yes no updates is the norm for BTOR - until the 'current task' is completed there will be no forecast for anything else.  AT best PlusNet might be able to advise of the next "update" date.
It does sound though as though things are moving.  Try using this - https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/newhomes/newhomes.do - to get an update.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

custos
Aspiring Pro

OK, I have filled in the Open Reach form and await a response.
custos
Aspiring Pro

Wow - I got a reply!
"We've looked into the provision of service to your new property and we can't provide a completion date for the work currently.  We are working with our Planning Team in order to get a date for you and we'll be back in touch as soon as we can provide a further update."
So there you go then - no news, not even from Openreach!
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Sorry to hear that, I hope you're not waiting too long for the work to be completed Undecided
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

...no doubt they are the exact words you've been getting from PlusNET on updates...  Nothing useful from their suppliers to help meet reasonable customer expectations.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

That was a very "Openreachy" sounding response.
They've updated the order tracker this morning and it sounds like they're arranging to build a new DP. In honesty this is not quick work, and we have been given a required by date (RBD) of 05/10/2015. The full notes for transparency with any unique identifiers removed:
CALL OFF ESTIMATE PLANNED AND ISSUED TODAY.
FOR THE WHOLE SITE PLUS NEW DP**** SETUP.
ESTIMATE SENT TO: DIRECT LABOUR.
RBD: 05/10/15.

I'll update the ticket to reflect this, though really sorry it's bad news.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
custos
Aspiring Pro

I have no idea what a 'DP' is but my next door neighbour is expecting a BT engineer to connect her next week!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

A 'DP' is a distribution point.
That's a point in the network at which a 20/40/80/100 pair cable is terminated to which smaller cables or individual 'drop' wires are connected to connect to individual or smaller groups of properties.
I suspect that your neighbour will be waiting like yourself, unless the 'DP' work is completed by then.

custos
Aspiring Pro

Thank you.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Thanks to Kevin/Townman for the above. Apologies for not explaining that.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet