Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello from a soon to be ex Virgin customer

paulpicks21
Grafter

Hello from a soon to be ex Virgin customer

Just thought I would pop on and say hi.
We like 1000s of others on virgin adsl are suffering from the major issue they have at present , everyones speed is being throttled to around 0.5meg every evening without fail from around 5pm-12pm
In the day we get over 6meg.
Have a read about it here if you can be bothered , its had over 240 replies on the thread lol - http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Broadband-down-your-phone-line/Poor-speeds-on-Virgin-National-se...
We managed to get out of the contract early due to this so I gave the Mac code to plusnet last friday.
Not sure exactly how long it will be til we are switched over , but I am hoping its going to be a better service than virgin. Their customer service sucks big time I tell you.
Anyway thanks for reading , will let you know what we think of plusnet when its up and running.
Paul.
34 REPLIES 34
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Hello from a soon to be ex Virgin customer

Hi Paul,
Welcome to Plusnet and the community. Hope we live up to your expectations Wink please don't hesitate to shout up if there's anything we can look at for you.
paulpicks21
Grafter

Thanks for the welcome Matt  Smiley
Moominfish
Grafter

I'm one of the current Virgin ADSL customers who like paulpicks am migrating over to Plusnet, I really hope i'm making the right decision!
artificer
Grafter

my experience of plusnet since i joined in 2005 has been nothing but positive.  unfailingly courteous, they always promptly respond to my queries and have kept me contentedly online.
those horror stories that i have read on the forum have included contributory factors, such as the user's impatience and anger, which has clouded its judgement and induced it into ill-advised insults directed at the very people it wants help from.
i have seen that many of the members here are fully conversant with the way the various diagnostic tools work and offer invaluable advice and tuition to those willing to follow it.  plusnet staff are quick to respond and do their best to get issues resolved swiftly.
there are always teething troubles with any new venture and occasional mishaps.  the optimum route out of difficulty has shown itself to be the gathering of all available relevant data for perusal by the experts, followed by accepting the instructions offered on how to proceed.
my line profile is 6,500 and i get download speed of around 5900 consistently.  it does suffer the occasional blip, but so far never enough to induce me to yell for help.  if your experience is as smooth as mine, you can look forward to years of fun. 
paulpicks21
Grafter

So far so good , was activated this morning  Smiley
6.3meg speedtests , 39 ping , 0 % packet loss , 1 jitter.  Cheesy
Cheers
Paul.
Mand
Grafter

Welcome aboard. Smiley
Sumpong

Hi to all.
Another soon to be Ex. Virgin customer here.  Angry
Like paulpicks21 I have had enough of their 0.5 meg download speed every evening.
There could be many other VM national broadband customers coming this way soon if it carries on any longer.
It has been like that for about 4/5 weeks now & VM don't seem bothered by it.
They just expect their customers to keep paying & wait for them to sort it.
They just suggest calling their 0845 number to listen to poor advice.
I am waiting eagerly  for my switch over date.
I am looking forward to once again being able to watch video clips, download demos at a decent speed & enjoy the occassional online PS3 gaming. 
I am also hoping the support over here is better, it is impossible to be worse than VM support (just check out their support forum from the link paulpicks21 posted, look at the posts from VM, I find them insulting).
Paul
paulpicks21
Grafter

Hi mate , welcome to the other side lol.
Customer service seems excellent from plusnet on the forums.
I posted this on Virgins forum but may as well post it here as well to show the changes I have seen so far to let people on here know what they are not missing ................
Well what can I say!!

I am now a happy chappy again.

After 5pm , bt speedtester showing 5.5meg instead of 0.3-0.4 from virgin.

For some reason Nvidia's downloads have been slow all day so I tried a few other sites , one called gamershell which has big game demo's etc you can download , speeds between 530kbps and 750kbps as apposed to the 50-60kbps from virgin.

Ping of 37 after 5pm! Unheard of lol.

Everything feels so much smoother , things like google street view is working seamlessly.

My xbox now downloads demos at proper speeds instead of the stupidly low ones it has always had with virgin (even before the current issues).

Peer to peer with Virgin max 10kbps lol , hit 400kbps with plusnet earlier.

I am so relieved to finally have proper internet back after just over 1 month of misery.

Time for some serious gaming again tonight
Cheers
Paul.
scootie
Grafter

@paulpicks some downloads will be slower than others as PN use traffic mangment to insure web browsing, streaming, gaming, voip ect run perfect
have a look here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
paulpicks21
Grafter

Thanks Asbo dog.
Yeah , I studied that page before signing up , I like the fact PN are so upfront with all that information , its very useful.
If you were refering to the part on my post regarding slow downloads from Nvidia , the speeds were less than 100kbps so I can only assume Nvidia were having problems/very busy their end all day yesterday.
Tried a download from them this morning and its 750kbps so all sorted.
Cheers
Paul.
severedsolo
Grafter

although i have already made a post about this, id just like to weigh in and say that as an ex virgin customer, i am also very happy with the way you do things compared to virgin, the post at the beginning of this thread was no exaggeration, they are actually even worse than paulpicks made them sound,
it is so refreshing to have a company that actually listens to its customers, and understands that just because they are trained to deal with people who dont know anything about computers, it doesnt mean that none of your customers do!
keep up the good work plusnet!
Moominfish
Grafter

This is for the attention of paulpicks and severedsolo, this is how sh*t Virgin is right now! I ran a speedtest on Virgins connection (upto 8 meg my a s s, more like upto 0.8 meg lol) and this is the result from the Virgin speedtest!

I then plugged in my mobile broadband dongle on the 3 network and ran a speedtest on that and that connection got,

Which is to be expected with it being a mobile dongle.
But notice how close the 2 results are!! Too close to say Virgin is supposed to a much faster connection!!
Anyway it said on Virgins connection it would take 42 seconds to download a 5 meg MP3 file, 5 minutes to download a 32 megabyte video clip and 112 minutes to download an 800 meg Movie!

On three it said it would take 43 seconds to download a 5 meg MP3 file, 5 minutes to download a 32 megabyte video clip and 114 minutes to download an 800 meg Movie!
How close is that to Virgins [Censored] service!
Plusnet here I come should be activated on the 27th of March after 12pm.
See you on the other side Cheesy
paulpicks21
Grafter

Roll on the 27th Moominfish!
I feel pretty confident you wont be disapointed
Sumpong

I got connected to Plusnet yesterday.    Smiley
It is so nice to be able to watch video clips again.
Getting about 4 Mb/s at all times as predicted by Plusnet before I signed up. 
Looks like VM still haven't fixed their problem.    Roll_eyes