cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I made wrong decision

ossettbob
Grafter

Have I made wrong decision

I have signed up with Plusnet and am moving from Taltalk (who I have been with since they started their free broadband service years ago) due to their prices always going up. Before I placed my order I was told by 4 On-line sales people that I would have no interruption to my broadband service Now, I have informed that I will have an interruption of between 12 & 24 hours. This is a good start to gaining trust !!. Also, if anyone can tell me how they send you e-mail to tell you that your broadband is available when you do not have broadband, I would appreciate it.
37 REPLIES 37
James
Grafter

Re: Have I made wrong decision

Hi Ossettbob,
I'm sorry you were misinformed.
Becuasde you are moving from a fully unbundled supplier, BT engineers have to go to your exchange and unplug your line from one box and then plug it into to another one to get you back on the BT network.  Because of this, there is a period of downtime, but hopefully it shouldn't be very long.  I think it's normally a couple of hours and shouldn't be as long as the 12-24 hours you have been quoted.
mikko
Grafter

Jameseh, why did you say "I'm sorry you feel a bit misled" to the OP.
He was a bit misled.
James
Grafter

Entirely my own typing error, will change.
ossettbob
Grafter

In response to my post

I have now been told that my downtime should be a couple of hours. I have an e-mail stating that my phone line will be changed over on 9/11/2012 and my broadband on 10/11/2012, by midnight on that day. If I do my maths correctly, that is more than a couple of hours. I still got no information as to how Plusnet are going to inform me that my broadband is live if I`m without broadband !!!
Dick:blue Topics merged as they are about the same issue,
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You could put a note on the ticket to request an SMS or a phone call to a mobile or Landline.
Edit: Apart from which if your modem/router is a Plusnet supplied 582n if it is connected to the line when the service is active, first the Broadband/ADSL light will be solid Green and then also the Internet light  will go solid Green when your Internet connection has been activated by Plusnet.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

A friend of mine moving from TT full LLU to Plusnet was given the same information (in relative terms) re dates. At 9:30am on the phone line switch date her line (and TT broadband) went dead. I spoke to her on the phone about an hour later so clearly it was active with Plusnet by then.
Though broadband wasn't due to complete until the following day, contacting Plusnet a little after 11am confirmed that was now active - she plugged in her new easy-start router and 15 minutes later it had set itself up and she was back online.
So phone line switch time probably a few minutes, broadband under 2 hours. No doubt this is a 'best case' scenario though I'd hope it's the way most switches go.
David
ossettbob
Grafter

I still think I need to make a comment. I told each of the 4 on-line sales people that I was on a fully unbundled service from TalkTalk. As I said, they all told me that this didn`t matter and my service would suffer no interruption. In view if this, I placed my order for a 12-month contract. Your sales people either tell untruths to get people to sign up or they don`t know what they are talking about. If the latter, then they have not been trained, I wish that I had kept screen shots as the chat sessions can not be saved to e-mail unlike other on-line live chats. I know that all I have said will make no difference but it might persuade others to disregard most of what sales people say.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry to hear you might not have been given the most accurate advice regarding that. You should have been advised that there should be no downtime involved, that's because downtime does not occur as a matter of course as part of such a migration but it can happen so I feel we should have set that type of expectation really. I will certainly do what I can to make sure some feedback gets passed on about that as we want to make sure we're setting the right expectations from the off.
I just wanted to assure you that your broadband order should complete on the 9th rather than the 10th. You've no doubt picked up on a notification mentioning that the order should complete by the 10th, however the date on the order is definitely the 9th.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion

Just to be clear ossettbob, it is more a case of the Sales people having limited or no technical knowledge. As spraxyt implied, an OpenReach engineer has to physically un-wire you from TalkTalk's equipment and reconnect you to the BT infrastructure. This obviously takes a finite time and depends on the engineers doing the job and the paperwork they have been given. Also, it would seem that according to Adam, your broadband should be up at the same time as your phone is transferred. This is called a Simultaneous provide, which isn't always possible for technical reasons that seem to escape our understanding from time to time. So hopefully everything will go smoothly in more or less one go.
ossettbob
Grafter

Here we go again !!!!!. I thought I would ask about my router. Wanted to know if it was on its way to me. I got a reply to my question saying it hadn`t been despatched as it was waiting for a "trigger point". I have been told it will be sent and I would receive it in 3-5 working days. According to the last reply on here, I am going live on 9/11/2012. If it isn`t here in 3 working days I will lose my broadband, maybe until next week. This is not acceptable !!!. If this is example of Plusnet looking after their customers, something is badly wrong with their organisation. I am not happy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ossettbob
Grafter

I want to know how to cancel my order if I`m not getting my router in time. When I got confirmation of my order on 25/10/2012, it stated that my broadband router will be sent out in time for me to use my broadband connection. It seems that this might not be the case. I also paid 12 months line rental up-front. I woul want my full payment of around &125.00 back !!
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Bob, I doubt anyone from the Digital Care Team will see this until the morning. I'm sure they will make sure it's sent to you, someone can check it's been dispatched,and if not they'll deal with it.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ossettbob,
Best bet for cancelling would be to phone up, but given that the router has been ordered for you I'd be very very surprised if it wasn't with you by Friday at the latest. Even if it's dispatched today it should be with you tomorrow or Thursday at the absolute latest.
Hope everything goes smoothly and sorry for the messing about.
ossettbob
Grafter

Can someone advise me if it has been despatched or not ?