cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTML emails

thelawtons

HTML emails

Does anyone else feel aggravated by these (sent by Plusnet) ?

These are a security risk.

At one time all emails from Plusnet were properly 'Plain Text', but someone on their manglement team made the decision to some systems to make them send HTML emails.

Dave

7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: HTML emails

Why don't you just set your client to display only plain text - HTML aren't inherently unsafe other than that they can include a few nasty's which ones from Plusnet wouldn't

thelawtons

Hi Oldjim,

Thanks for responding.

Unfortunately HTML emails ARE inherently unsafe.

Most HTML emails are SPAM/Phishing.

Some HTML emails do NOT have a 'Plain text' section.

Some clients will NOT display anything else.

Some clients insist on running  anything in the preview window.

Email headers can be faked (Spoofing).

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

your issue is with the source of the email, not the format.
HTML emails are only unsafe if the source of the emails chooses to make them unsafe.

if you are worried about receiving such emails then use a client that blocks them.
quite simple.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

As far as I'm concerned, HTML e-mails are an extremely annoying waste of time and bandwidth - to the extent that if an e-mail does not display meaningful text when I open it, it usually gets deleted without any effort by me to see what it says.

Companies used to allow the option of plain text or HTML, which was fine, but now there is no choice as "everyone uses HTML in e-mails" (and the mailing software is unable to cope with sensible options) - in the same way that "everyone uses Microsoft Windows".

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Mav
Fixes: 514

I always thought the choice was back in the days when more people were on dial-up hence HTML would take a lot longer?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

That may be the case, but I have yet to view an HTML e-mail (by laboriously extracting and correcting the HTML then loading into a browser) that conveyed any information that could not be done with plain text. Yes, they have pictures and multiple founts but none of the embellishments convey additional information about the content and are, therefore, totally redundant.

As you may have guessed, my e-mail client does not handle HTML well (I do not link to a browser) but does everything e-mail related that I require.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also find HTML emails a complete waste of resources, its use serves no purpose whatsoever, the only reason I can see for it being the format of choice is that it can provide the sender with the ability to track the recipient.

My email current client supports both the creation and rendering of HTML but is turned off by default, and in all the years I’ve used email I have never once written a HTML email.