cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got your number...

Chrism2
Grafter

Got your number...

Plusnet, in my experience of dealing with them over the past few years, have rarely given me any reason to think they have unfair pricing. This was until the other day, when I happened to check my phone bill and noticed over £20 of calls to directory services; £19.16 of which to the ubiquitous 118118.
This referred to four calls on the 8th (made by a rather naive 12 year old , within 5 minutes to the number, each less than a minute, each costing £4.79. I've read the forum, I understand the connection charge point. I'm not happy about the amount charged or the reasoning given by PlusNet about why this is so expensive.
According to 118118 - because I called their 0800 customer service number to complain, the cost is £1.79 + £0.79p; which is the cost to PlusNet. I was very specific in naming Plusnet. When I spoke to PlusNet, I was told that the cost of the call was "passed on" and that their service was "exorbitantly expensive". I've looked at the charge-band rate and I can see how a call rated at dg65 costs "224.80" setup and "11.24" - but the only way I can see this as working out is if you ADD it to 118's charges.
Is this how it works? If so, where is this explained in PLAIN English (on yours or 118's side).
Is there a way to block these calls (and premium rate calls) so that I can give my children the benefit of safely using the phone without them making poor judgement calls?
Seriously... £4.79 for a call under 1 minute is madness. Even to these guys....

4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Got your number...

118118 need to be reported to the ASA - I believe the rates they quote are less than the rates BT Wholesale charges the telephone service providers.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chrism2
Grafter

In some fairness, I've read through the tariff guide a few times now, and I understand the "call setup fee" is added to the cost of the call, but I still think it's a bit unclear.
And it's also exorbitant and unexplained by both sides.
*edit* And, yes, Jelv, I agree - if it is true that what they are advertising and telling me on the phone when I call them is untrue,  then that's not fair. But I'd be interested to hear from PlusNet exactly why a call that was either not connected at all, or that lasted as long as it did costed (as opposed to was charged at) £4.79.
And... how do we stop them in future....
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you read http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114647.0.html ?
BT Retail charge £2.58 for the first minute and then £1.79 per minute thereafter (dq143). However the BT Wholesale price list suggests the first minute is charged the setup AND the per minute.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Listed here (code dq143) at long last.
http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/tariffs/
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.