cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye Plusnet, or should I say Negnet! (GAMERS PLEASE READ)

Nutsarino

Goodbye Plusnet, or should I say Negnet! (GAMERS PLEASE READ)

Dear Gamers and potential plusnet customers.
I have now been in contact with Plusnet for about 2 months concerning my incredibly unreliable service, poor customer relations, unknowledgeable technical staff and general incompetence. I have been trying to use my ps3 online since call of duty MW2 came out in November 2009. Latency is so poor that it is impossible to play, except at 7 in the morning before i go to work. This, I am sure is down to traffic prioritisation although no one at plusnet would admit this.
During this two month period plusnet have done numerous tests on my line(all saying they can't find a problem) and asked me to do the following:
Run a wireshark application and send them the results. (couldn't be done because the application was not  fully operational on OSX Snow Leopard)
Buy a new microfilter.
Run a BT speed test and send them the results.
Get Interleaving disabled on the line.
Run all my connections wired.
Remove plate socket on main phone output and plug into master socket.
Assign and open port numbers on my router.
Assign the ps3 into the DMZ of my router (DMZ option does not exist on my router, Thomson TG585v7)
After thew most frustrating 2 months of my life I gave up and asked for my MAC code. I was told that it would cost me £70 to leave, haha. Plusnet eventually caved in and let me go for free so if your in the same predicament as me don't  pay, just nag and nag and nag.
I am in the process of migration to Aquiss and asked them if they would like a read the 2 month long ticket from plusnet, sure they would!
I got a reply today from Aquiss and it makes for some interesting reading, the fact that for the last two months plusnet have been running the incorrect type of test on my line!!! what a joke! At no point did was a EUPP test done, which according to my new provider would of been the first port of call. If any one would like to read the full ticket of my experience with plusnet please drop me an email.
lloyd_evans@live.co.uk
9 REPLIES 9
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Goodbye Plusnet, or should I say Negnet! (GAMERS PLEASE READ)

We're sorry to see you go, though I don't see where we've asked you to do anything unreasonable - all of the items on that list are standard tests as regards investigating a slow speed issue and are routinely asked of any customer who raises a speed fault on their line.
With regard to the test results and Aquiss's comments, we don't necessarily add all test results to the ticket and may well have run an EPP (End user Poor Performace) test on the line. Frequently however we use alternative tests as the results from an EPP don't give us the line quality readings we need to properly diagnose the fault.
I believe we'd also asked if we could log in as yourself in order to test the service on your account and confirm whether it is an issue with the line or your account, however we were unable to as we didn't receive a response.
Best wishes with the new provider and sorry that we couldn't offer what you wanted.
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Aquiss dont seem to do line rental, if i lump £12 line rental on top my monthly bill would be £45...Which is a shame  Embarrassed
Nutsarino

Just checked the ticket and I can't see any evidence of you asking to log in as me! Please could you tell me where and when I failed to respond!
DavidH
Grafter

@ Nutsarino: Had to smile when you mentioned your convo with your new ISP. I had a similar one with mine after my debacle. They asked me if I'd repeat it to their Marketing Dept! I bet they make an advert about it. The people on the forum of my new ISP lovingly refer to these lot as either Dad's Army  Grin or slightly more unkindly as O+ net. (o plus = hopeless)  Grin ;D.
Good luck with your new ISP!  Smiley
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I read this thread as it says 'gamers please read 'and in caps lock too!! I have an Xbox 360 and encounter no problems gaming online with Plusnet as my ISP, I do however read on these forums a lot of problems with the ps3,connection,lag,Nat,so on and so forth.

Perhaps your title should of read PS3 gamers please read,anyhoo ta-ra  Shocked
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Nutsarino

i have the same problem playing unreal tournament 2004  on my mac.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I have a PS3 and have no issues with my gaming and there are others that don't as well.
MW2 is fine as is MW, I hope you get a new router where you are going as I suspect some of the problems could be down to the Thomson.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I concur with Adiewoo as I play MW2 on my PS3 with no issues so the problems described by the OP are by no means typical.
Customers of a particular ISP regularly knock the opposition. It's common practice but each of these ISPs will have loyal happy customers.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Nutsarino

No the Thomson works fine, i tried a netgear and the same problem was apparant.