cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye BT!

Raystr

Goodbye BT!

Actually, it's not at all tears, as I have just migrated from B.T. (the robbing bastard*) to Plusnet, and just wanted to say "Well Done" so far on a fairly smooth switch over  Cheesy
I have lirterally had my Broadband switched on and the installation was a doddle, my telephones are due to be activated shortly.....so, for now, it has been plane sailing!
The download speed is pretty slow at about 2.5 MB  Sad but I know you have to let things "Bed In" as it's a new installation, so, HOPEFULLY the speed will improve, after the initial setting up.
On the whole though, brilliant! and "Value For Money" that's the main thing!
Just wanted to say hello to you all, and join the forum!
Well Done Plusnet!  Wink Wink
Regards,
Ray(str)
Smiley Smiley Smiley
11 REPLIES 11
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Goodbye BT!

Welcome to Plusnet and the forum Ray Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You should get the same speeds on Plusnet as you did with BT Retail as they both use BT Wholesale/Openreach to deliver the service.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
siddo

Lucky you but remember plusnet is owned by BT
Raystr

Owned by B.T.....didn't know that!  Shocked Shocked Shocked
To be fair, I had been a B.T. customer for many years and found their service really good but you have to go for the best price don't you, especially in this day and age , when money is so tight. Not only have they lost me as a broadband customer but I have switched the lot, crap, if you ask me! Are they so flooded with customers that they can afford to lose the business?
I have heard nothing but "Good" about Plusnet, and have thought many times about joining/migrating & when my package ROCKETED last month, I was left with no choice.
They offered me £30 per month (inc Line Rental) and that was for a measly 10GB capping, which is ridiculous in this day and age........I don't use a colossal amount of downloads as I don't game or stream to any extent, and what tipped me right over the edge, was after using 11.3 GB  in June, and being charged a fiver because I had used up my 10 GB allowance. They never EVER gave me a refund for "ALL" the months I only used 6 or 7 GB....Blahhhhhh!
Anyway, it was Goodbye I'm afraid....
So far, I love P/N, and have had no complaints......like I said....Great Value For Money....and a company who clearly cares!
Brilliant!
Smiley Smiley P.S. Thanks for the welcome to the forum....hope to visit often......even to get my missus off me' back....nag, nag, nag!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Raystr and welcome aboard!
We're owned by BT but we're not BT. We operate as an independent business.
Any issues just drop us a post on here if you like and don't be a stranger to the community site otherwise they're a good bunch on here! Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Quote from: Raystr
I have heard nothing but "Good" about Plusnet, and have thought many times about joining/migrating & when my package ROCKETED last month, I was left with no choice.
...what tipped me right over the edge, was after using 11.3 GB  in June, and being charged a fiver because I had used up my 10 GB allowance. They never EVER gave me a refund for "ALL" the months I only used 6 or 7GB

Hi Ray,
Welcome. This seems to be the way the industry works.  PN is exactly the same on its up to 10GB packages, but it increments in £1 1GB blocks.  Hope you got the unlimited package.  Watch out though for the autumn phone price increases just announced!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

On PN 10GB package ( now legacy ) , it is exactly the same as BT, increments in £5 5GB blocks , ( was changed in 2010 from £1 1GB blocks)
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Townman
PN is exactly the same on its up to 10GB packages, but it increments in £1 1GB blocks.

a) Plusnet now don't sell packages with usage allowances
b) All packages with usage allowances have been £5 for 5GB since 2009
Edit: It took me longer to check the dates than Mike!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gstrickland
Grafter

Quote from: Raystr
Owned by B.T.....didn't know that!  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Smiley
To be fair all ISP's are pretty as bad a each other. Plusnet are no exception. What rankles me is that they all keep pushing up the prices and yet offer the same level of service (if you are getting a good service that is!).
In general existing customers don't qualify for offers or get a cheap upgrade.
Just like insurance companies, it pays to shop around at the end of your contract term as you can find some great deals for the same price as you are paying for a much lesser service. Loyalty to any ISP just isn't worthwhile.
If you have cause for concern or complaint with your existing ISP at the end of your contract, move. Simples.
atbs1
Grafter

Out of curiosity: can anyone point me in the direction to find out my contract length and remaining term please?
LukeS
Grafter

Hi SGTE,
You should have received an email confirmation of your contract length and therefore the end date when you made the agreement. There isn't anywhere on the member centre that contains that information (Currently).
However, I've raised a ticket on your account with your current contract end date on it. You should also receive an email copy.