cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Honest Broadband !!!!!!!

cooperman

Good Honest Broadband !!!!!!!

Well, just signed up for the GOOD Honest Broadband, so far line speed less than I expected, much less, 0.27mbts download, expected at least 2 mbts plus.
According to the help desk the line needs to bed in, sorry it is not a car that needs to be run in, this is almost state of the art electronics, tried ditching the wireless and using ethernet cables no difference, is this what I can expect ????
Signed on for a 60GB download limit, at this rate I could be online 24hrs a day and never get near that limit in 6 months let alone 1 month.
PLUSNET please note this must improve significantly.
I somewhat annoyed as this is almost midnight so traffic should be lower than at other times.
14 REPLIES 14
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Re: Good Honest Broadband !!!!!!!

Quote from: cooperman
According to the help desk the line needs to bed in, sorry it is not a car that needs to be run in, this is almost state of the art electronics, tried ditching the wireless and using ethernet cables no difference, is this what I can expect ????
I somewhat annoyed as this is almost midnight so traffic should be lower than at other times.

If this is a new connection, it will enter a 10 day "Training period" during which the DSLAM at the exchange will adjust the transmission parameters to obtain the best SYNC speed that your line can support RELIABLY. At the end of the 10 day period, it will also set your Signal to Nouse Ratio Margin to a suitable level to prevent frequent drops od the Carrier frequency. This is what the Help Desk loosely refer to as "bed in".
The data rate that a wireless connection or Ethernet connection can support is a multiple of that which your ADSL connection can support so it should make little difference which you use.
You are correct that the lower traffic after midnight "should" result in faster data rates but do not confuse this with the SYNC Speed which is currently limiting your data rate to below the 0.27Mbps that you quote.
It would help if you would post your Router Stats here so we can try to diagnose the root cause of your throughput problems.
In the meantime, try to leave the Router permanently connected and if you must re-boot it, do this mid morning and certainly before dusk when the ghosts and ghouls and things that go bump in the night come out to play with your ADSL connection. 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Oh and welcome to the Forum
to get your stats, see here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
cooperman

Thanks for the response, this is the stats from to Sunday  14 Nov at 13.00hrs.

System Up Time 14:32:49
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 4 6 0 4 15 00:00:23
LAN 10M/100M 85617 58261 0 2105 152 14:32:44
WLAN 11M/54M 13978 7771 0 348 11 14:32:39
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2680 kbps 444 kbps
Line Attenuation 45.0 db 26.4 db
Noise Margin 10.8 db 23.8 db
Will post further stats if required or as advised.
Checked and replaced all filters on the phone system, fitted new screened cable from modem to phone line, using router cable instead of Wireless link.
Any further advice appreciated.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Ok, your synch speed isn't TOO bad
Connection Speed    2680 kbps    444 kbps

We need another couple of bits of information to see why your speeds may be low.
What does a BT speedtest ( http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ ) say your IP Profile is ?
And what does this https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed say your Current Line speed is ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Quote from: cooperman

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2680 kbps 444 kbps
Line Attenuation 45.0 db 26.4 db
Noise Margin 10.8 db 23.8 db

According to the Kitz website http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php that is a poor sync speed (2608 kbps) for the line attenuation (45dB). A maximum sync speed of 5888 kbps might be possible under ideal circumstances.
I suggest plugging the router directly into the test connector (behind the user removable  bottom half of a NT5e master socket) without using a telephone extension lead, and reposting the stats.
Richard
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd guess at some stage you have synced at a very low speed and your IP Profile has been set around the speed you are seeing. The BT speed test will confirm that.
The obvious thing to check is that you've connected everything up correctly. Everything connected to the telephone line MUST be connected via a filter (Sky boxes are something often missed). That includes anything plugged in to any extension sockets.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

cooperman,
I've just checked your account and have run a few diagnostics. The IP profile is still in line with the reported sync speed so let me know if you don't see any improvement after the line training period.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
cooperman

OK chaps further info,
Plusnet estimated line speed for my line 4.0 assume mbts, current line speed 250 assume kbts as no units are given.
Results from speedtester from BT.com.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 139 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 100-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :486 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 250 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 9.88:23.32:67.52 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
365 Kbps

0 Kbps 444 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
This is current status as at 23.45hrs 15 Nov.
No improvement. will check out effect of fitting the router to the main phone socket and rerun the test tomorrow, too knackered.
Regards to All Respondees
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No improvement. will check out effect of fitting the router to the main phone socket and rerun the test tomorrow, too knackered.

Don't feel that you need to bother posting stats today. There is another couple of days to go until the 10 to 14 day line training period has completed so bear with us for now.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
cooperman

OK, will not bother with stats, however could not access the net last evening, gave up, got online  at 09:40 still much too slow, paint drying is more interesting.
Regards
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Cooperman,
I'm going to take a look at your account now and run some diagnostics, we'll get to the bottom of this.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

As per our chat earlier today, please drop me a PM when you've performed the checks and make the changes we discussed.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
cooperman

Adam, I dont know if you received my PM, as it asked for verification letters, sorry no letters.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Assuming that your equipment is still connected to the test socket it looks that there may be a fault that needs to raised with our suppliers, I'll be in touch by phone in the afternoon to do just a couple more checks and go through raising this with our suppliers for you.
Adam.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team