cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going, going, gone

Filmfan
Hooked

Going, going, gone

Cannot wait to finish my contract with Plusnet. Jumped from BT to them in the vain hope that as the companies were related i would get a similar service at lower cost. Ended up with similar costs and [-Censored-] poor service with super fibre (a joke) dropping out regularly and as soon as i have 2 people here with phones hooked on wifi forget streaming. Weekends are awful and i am not willing to tinker this Godawful router. So in a couple of months it will be back to searching again and probably BT again. Disappointed to say the least

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

11 REPLIES 11
krusty
Rising Star

Re: Going, going, gone

This sounds like a hardware and probably microfilters issue.

Openreach provide the service, regardless if you with BT, zen, EE, PN or anyone else who uses openreach exchange/cab equipment.

Have you checked your filters and or tried a spare router?

Also what is your current line speed?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear that. Testing your line isn't showing any issues and your router is in sync at 79.9mbps.

The physical connection that we can see is stable too.

It sounds like you're experiencing connection problems with your wireless signal from your router to your devices.

Can you try the troubleshooting here and let us know how it goes?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Filmfan
Hooked

All I know is that I never had so many issues with bt hub. I have extenders etc. But it is fine for a while and all of a sudden here we go again so as it is no cheaper as I said I will be gone soon as I can.
Filmfan
Hooked

I don't have spare routers and so tired of the glitches that I will try my luck with a company providing me with better routers
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to hear that. Can you try the router we sent you?

Also, have you tried changing the wireless channels?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Filmfan
Hooked

The router you sent me 16 months ago? It is the one I use which is my main problem!!!??? And as you have no better to offer no point in continuing. Not starting to tinker on things I know little about. Listen, no offence meant but if the level of help is suggesting using your router (???) Then don't bother..
Ty
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Changing the wireless channels is the next step I'd recommend as it's possible your router has chosen a congested channel.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
krusty
Rising Star

Given that the the line is stable i would concur that changing wifi channel could resolve things as there may be congestion now, that wasn't there maybe a year ago..

Things do change.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

FOR
A point of information: the PN routers are essentially BT Home Hubs, so if the issue is the WiFi in your location a switch to BT retail is not likely to eliminate the issue. You need to follow the WiFi trouble shooting guide. Note particularly that iPhones can be bad flip-flopping between 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands if they have the same SSID. Go get inSIDDer V3 and inspect your WiFi spectrum. Try to avoid over lapping channels - stick to 1, 6, 11.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Filmfan
Hooked

I have no idea at how to 'inspect a WiFi spectrum's and yes I do realise 'things change' so I don't need patronising, thanks. I am on plusnet automatic channel switching and am not doing anything else as plusnet keep telling me this is my best option. I am not 'playing' when I don't understand what I am not doing. All I know is that I never had to mess about before. It is intermittent and a pain. And I will be changing soon as I can. No need for further assistance either thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

If you don’t want help that's fine - however on changing ISPs getting a simar router in the same uninspected environment you might well face the same issues.

The inSIDDer utility I pointed you to enables you to inspect channel usage. Auto selection is not ideal if the nature of your environment causes frequent channel hopping - it takes time for connected devices to catch up and can cause exactly the problem you describe. My wifi has been significantly more predictable on a fixed channel. Making that change is not difficult.

You do have choices - attempt some self help or do nothing other thanjumping to a different isp and risk seeing no change.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.