Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Getting very cheesed off now

Many thanks Chris.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If your router doesn't automatically get disconnected following the change on this side, you may need to log in to it and disconnect/reconnect to see any higher speeds come through.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
glloyd
Rising Star

The disconnection problem may be solved but the download speeds especially in the mornings are terrible. This is the result of BT speed test and PlusNet speed test.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 511 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 2000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :17496 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1208 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 15000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 24.46:11.74:63.8 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

This one stopped half way through the test for ages.

Chris
Legend

Hi George,
What time of day do the speeds start to pick up and what speeds are they increasing to?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
glloyd
Rising Star

Hi Chris, I've not really taken note as it was not as  noticeable as this morning. This is the speed test taken a few minutes ago. Note the difference.

The only thing I can see that happened in between was the PPP dropped as the IP profile was updated.
Chris
Legend

Interesting as your profile on our side increased between your 2 posts from 12000 to 15000. Can you try some tests spread out through the day over the weekend if possible? I want to see if you get the same slowdowns on the 15000 profile.
glloyd
Rising Star

Saturday Morning. Test paused several time before completing

BT tester
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2436 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :17496 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1208 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 27.46:14.66:57.88 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
Same test an hour or so later:

And a couple of hours later.

And a few minutes later.

And again a couple of hours later. It makes no sense the speeds are up and down like a yo yo every hour or so.

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

George.
I really dont know why we are putting up with this.....
I have the same issues you do, that we thought BT fixed, but that lasted a week.  If the next BT engineer Monday dosn't have a clue, I think I will be blowing my top at both PlusNet and the engineer.  The only thing I can think of in your situation, is that a cease and reprovide, has reset the 10day training period, and thats why you are seeing shoddy speeds, but gut feeling is thats not the issue.  I personally feel the issues we and alot of people are facing, is that quite plainly, the Bt ADSL2 equipment is not up to scratch, and nobody has been trained to fault find on this, even the BT engineers admit it.  One of the CSC reps I spoke with, also mentioned that these problems are similar to the ADSL Max upgrade a few years back. I would have thought BT would have learnt from that disaster.....  If I get no joy Monday, then i feel I have no alternative but to go to an LLU ISP, and see if my suspicions about the exchange equipment are vidicated.
I actually asked if my line would be checked with a Hawk quality pair test, and was told, that probably not, another engineer vist would have to be booked for that.....  I mean how THICK is that...
glloyd
Rising Star

Penfold,
I rather think it's a capacity or management problem now. My sync speeds have never been better as are my line speeds. I've not had any disconnects as far as I can see. One minute I can't load a web page and an hour later it's flying along (see speed test). Some of the slower speed test I have run the tester has actually stopped part way for a minute or so.
I think many BT engineers would agree with you, the BT 21CN equipment is not fit for purpose and neither is the DLM.
I think a lot of what BT do when faced with a 21CN problem is done out of desperation. One typical example is sending an engineer to remove an ADSL Nation face plate and fit one of their own because they claimed it was not campatible with their test equipment. BT engineers never test through the face plate  anyway so that was pointless.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi George,
Just got back in the office today and noticed things seem to have remained quite stable for you (I've added some logs to your support ticket for specifics), however I'm keen to hear what your speeds are like at the moment as capacity issues or exchange contention should never cause your speeds to fluctuate in the way you've indicated here.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
glloyd
Rising Star

Hi Adam,
Hope you enjoyed your break. The speed issue appears to be down to a DLM issue. At times my line is good enough for a 17 meg connection but most of the time it's 14/15 meg. If I'm synced at 17 meg and the attainable rate is only 14 meg then it seems as though there is a traffic jam where data either slows right down or stops altogether. When running speed test the tester actually stopped until the backlog cleared which could take several minutes. As long as I don't sync at the higher rate all appears to be OK.
glloyd
Rising Star

Hows this for DLM stats. Line speed higher than sync speed. Good aint it.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 11614 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :14839 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1223 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 11.91:26.18:61.91 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi George,
I had a great time cheers. I'm glad to hear that the fault seems to be resolved but like I say not even DLM should cause that kind of fluctuation in speeds.
As things stand I would urge you to run a test using the BT speedtester whenever the connection is running very slowly (assuming that it hasn't stopped completely) so that we can gain the evidence we need to raise a speed fault for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
glloyd
Rising Star

Hi Adam,
I did manage to get one  BT speed test posted in my post #122. The test failed at other times. Anyway at the moment it's OK so maybe  best left alone whilst it's working.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

OK no problem, lets see how things go from here. If things are no better after the next couple of days I'd like to try applying interleaving.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team