Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started with McAfee

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Getting started with McAfee

http://www.plus.net/support/security/spam/plusnet_protect.shtml#whatfeatures
5. Will it replace my current security software?
Yes. In most cases, Plusnet Protect will be able to automatically remove any existing security software during installation.
Security software less than 6 months old may not be automatically removed, and should be manually removed before trying to install Plusnet Protect.
Security software more than 6 months old should be automatically removed. Here's a list of software that Plusnet Protect will remove:
This is thoroughly bad advice. Before installing any new security software you should at the very least use the uninstaller provided with the software.
Given the problems we see occasionally on the forums I have to question if this is partly down to an incomplete removal of the previous security package.
Note that none of the Security packages listed are less than 3 years old - 6 months is absolute garbage
Note the official McAfee guidance
http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100119
4.    Uninstall any existing security software.
   Some security software (anti-virus, firewalls, and so on) will not function correctly with other similar programs installed. Uninstalling previous security software, including any previously installed McAfee programs, should prevent any conflicts from occurring during or after installation. For a list of incompatible third party applications which must be uninstalled, see the following:
       TS100914 - Removing incompatible third party applications (2010)
       TS101083 - Removing incompatible third party applications (2011)
NOTE: Common security software to look for (not a complete list) includes products from: Norton, Symantec, Panda, Zone Labs (or Zone Alarm), Trend Micro, AVG, AVAST, Microsoft's Security Essentials, E-SET, Kaspersky, and PC-cillin. If you encounter any issues while uninstalling software from companies other than McAfee, contact the software manufacturer for support.

3 REPLIES 3
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Getting started with McAfee

Hi Oldjim,
My borrowed Dell Laptop came with already installed with McAfee with subn for 15 months.  It should be coming to an end soon.  However, I had a look at the programme folder, but McAfee have not provided an UNINSTALL software.  I wonder why!!  This would mean that one would have to use M$ uninstall facility.  By the way it is a W7 machine.
Chandu.
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@drj
Thanks for McAfee info,
Chandu.