cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting annoyed now - STILL stuck at 500kbps

LordFox
Rising Star

Getting annoyed now - STILL stuck at 500kbps

Once again BT have screwed something up at my exchange - midnight on Friday - again!
So, I get stuck with a 500kbps profile all weekend, because, of course, BT thinks it's my fault that they disconnected me! Again!
Support told me on Saturday morning that it will right itself. I didn't hold my breath, fortunately.
Now it's Monday evening and, guess what? ... I'm still stuck on 500kbps. My modem has never connected at less than the full 8 meg except when BT have screwed up the exchange.
Last time it took a full week of asking for me to get my connection back.
I raised a ticket yesterday afternoon which has not yet been answered.
Tonight, it seems there's a 20 minute wait to even talk to support. With me paying the phone bill of course, and paying more money to the people who have caused the problem. Outrageous!
Seriously, I want a refund for the 'phone calls and loss of service. Not to mention my time, charged at standard VMware engineer rate!
I really don't want to wait another full week to get back what I pay for.
I really wish that I could shout at BT for this, since I know it's their fault (again!) but I can't, so I'm here.
I would really appreciate some help - before I get so mad that I pop!
9 REPLIES 9
simon7685
Grafter

Re: Getting annoyed now - STILL stuck at 500kbps

Are you sure it is BT's fault????  I had a similar situation and after Plusnet blaming BT and every other man and his dog for 2 weeks.  Saying I needed a BT engineer and all sorts when all along, it turned out to be them throttling me back to 500k and even less...........
LordFox
Rising Star

Well, the BT Speedtest still has me on a 500kbps profile, so I think so. That's set by BT I think, not Plusnet... I stand to be corrected, lol.
I've actually just got through to support... a total waste of time and more money. No help whatsoever, just repeating that the faults team need to find out what's happened.
I need manually putting back on the profile that my modem connects at, that's all! Argghhh!!!
LordFox
Rising Star

SSDD!
Another day and I'm still stuck at 500kbps and still no response to my 'question' (35029479)
LordFox
Rising Star

Finally got a reply back from my second question, regarding the refund...
'...not a guaranteed service...'
Thanks for nothing! So I pay for nothing, in the hopes I might get something. What an atrocious situation.
Meanwhile, I'm still stuck on 500kbps, with no answer from support about the issue.
Why on Earth does it seem to take a week for matters to get sorted out??? It's disgraceful.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry for the lack of response so far, however you should now be back up to normal speed.
When there is a low sync and it causes the profile to drop down, it can take 3 days of syncing at the higher rate for this to be corrected. If it's a large jump then this can happen much faster, which appears to have been the case for you.
Your IP profile and the profile on our side are both at 7150, so if you're still seeing very low speeds then you may want to log in to your router and disconnect/reconnect once to force the higher speed through.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Dom
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
... so if you're still seeing very low speeds then you may want to log in to your router and disconnect/reconnect once to force the higher speed through.

I've got a question about this part. I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that being disconnected and reconnected (repeatedly) is what causes the sync speed to be reduced in order to give a more stable line. At least, that's what we've been told when we've had trouble. So if our problems got fixed and our sync speed/line speed/IP profile/whatever improved, is it OK to turn the router off and then turn it on again?
It just seems strange to me that disconnecting and reconnecting is what's caused the problem, and the solution seems to be disconnecting and reconnecting... or am I missing something?
Undecided
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Sometimes when the profiles are changed while you are connected they don't get picked up. If you disconnect your PPP session and reconnect it will then pick up the new profile.
NB If you disconnect/reconnect through the router interface it does NOT drop sync with the exchange and so won't cause a loss of speed that rebooting the router sometimes causes.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Dom
Grafter

Ah OK. Thanks for the advice.
WebDude
Grafter

I'd just add, for the VMware Engineer's consideration - if a high speed connection is 'vital' then having a second phone line and second ISP is not a luxury, but makes business sense and is very affordable these days (no longer need to pay 39.95/month for a 500 kbps line like days of old!)