cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gadget Show

sipart

Re: Gadget Show

Well now on Plus.net and testing the connection I'm getting about 4500kbps on average over a few different speed testers over 1/2 hour. Upload is more variable 65kbps upto 360kbps over the tests.
Corporate VPN is pretty good as well (which was always bad on virgin).
Overall I am happy, will see what it's like over the next couple of weeks as I know sometimes new connections need to bed in (is that correct plus.net?).
Cheers
P.S.> no mention on Gadget show 😞
DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT Annex A
Downstream Rate: 7136 kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 kbps
Channel: Interleaved
Current Noise Margin: 5.0 dB (Downstream) 25.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 32.0 dB (Downstream) 19.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 19.7 dBm (Downstream) 11.9 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0x0F} Vendor: {ALCB} Specific: {0x00}
PVC Info: 0/38
techguy
Grafter

On a new connection (ADSL has been provisioned for the first time) there is a ten day training period where the exchange equipment monitors the line while gradually incrwasing the synch rate to estalish the maximum stable rate.
Reboot your router during the day once a day but leave it on so you end up with the highest MSR possible.
James
Grafter

And read link:speed Smiley
techguy
Grafter

Wish I could get 4.5 Meg but as I'm miles away from the exchange I cant, thanks BT!
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

There seems to be a lot of posts on this thread, bemoaning the fact the PlusNet does not (hardly ever) advertise their services as widely as say Virgin or BT....
I think that, we who have decided to use PlusNet, should be glad of that !....
Why? ...................................Precisely why you all say what good customer service we get, and how everything is like a nice family.....
THINK ON.....
If only  HALF of BT customers, and HALF of VIRGIN customers joined Plusnet, How long would it take to get a response to a ticket? or a phone call? 
I think we should help to keep PlusNet  "low profile", and be chuffed to bits that we belong to the "Exclusive ISP Club"... Oh yes, you can tell your friends about how good it is to belong to PlusNet... (after all you don`t want to loose out on the referrals payment)  But you won`t get any referrals  payment for shouting from the roof tops and bringing in thousands of extra customers.... Also, bringining in those extra customers, will not bring down the amount you are charged monthly.... in fact PlusNet may well have to invest in more and bigger/better equipment to cope with the extra demand on services, so you may well be forcing them to increase prices....
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Mmmm not sure you can call sponsering a football team keeping a low profile  Wink
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
James
Grafter

Not sure you can call Wednesday a football team.
*hides*
Seriously speaking though, if we were to go down the alley of television advertising, I would expect a decent intake of signups, which ultimately would impact the call centre.  It's not something we've done before and as far as I'm aware it's not something we're planning on doing, but if we were to do so, I'd expect us to get a bunch of temporary staff in to help out.
Hypothetically speaking of course Smiley
fceluk
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Not sure you can call Wednesday a football team.

Mand......he's at it again
shutter
Community Veteran

You heard it here first, folks ! ! Roll_eyes Cheesy

Seriously speaking though, if we were to go down the alley of television advertising, I would expect a decent intake of signups, which ultimately would impact the call centre.

So just remember this.......  Lips_are_sealed   and then we can all do this  .... Smiley
James
Grafter

Don't get me wrong, if we were to do something that sparked a brace of signups, we'd make sure that we wouldn't be impacted in a negative way for you guys and the rest of our customer base.
shutter
Community Veteran

Yes, But what would you do if more than a "brace" signed up?  (I think a brace is a pair???)  (from Wiki      "A pair of like things"  Cheesy
James
Grafter

Fair enough, I always thought that a "brace" was a sudden influx.  Never knew it only meant two!
techguy
Grafter

Hope you don't embark on a TV ad campaign as when this happens and people sign up in droves the infrastructure creaks under the load as you cant turn away business until you have the capacity in place and you cant really plan for capacity till you have the signups and creaky infrastructure leads to loss of customers/complaints though from what I've read elsewhere you keep a lot of capacity in reserve.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Jameseh
Never knew it only meant two!

So an offer to buy you a brace of pints won't hold quite the same appeal from now on James Tongue Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine