Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated - please help !!

simontailby
Dabbler

Frustrated - please help !!

Hi all,
I'm hoping some of you knowledgable folks can help me decide what to do next to fix my problem...
I have been with PlusNet for just a few months and over the last month or so i've started losing my connection, or going to my PC and having no connection, with these outtages lasting from 10 minutes to all night.
Rather than just immediately complain, i've used ideas off this forum to try and sort it myself, but to no avail.
So far, i've checked the wiring in both the master and extension sockets, also making sure that 'only wires 2 and 5 are connected' as someone on here suggested.
I've taken my PC downstairs for a few days and had it plugged into the master socket. After that, I took the face off the unit and used the Test socket for a few days.
Then I dragged out my old NetGear router and tried that.
After none of this worked, I finally bought a new NetGear router, new ethernet lead, new BT cable and new filters.
These have been installed for a few days now, and just minutes ago, my wife called me at work to say she's gone to the PC and there's no connection.
It's now getting tiring and i'm beginning to wish i'd never swapped from Sky, who I had no problems with at all. My gaming friends have used PlusNet for ages and were the ones who finally got me to change.
It's just a shame I'm not getting the same great service so far.
Anyway, if anyone can offer any advice on what to do next, it would be greatly appreciated.
If you can, please bear in mind I know little about the 'techie' side of the internet and my connection, so basic instructions would be great ; )
In case it's relevant, a night or so ago I used the SpeedTest site to check things over and there seemed to be a big difference in service. The first night (Tues) my download speed was about 250kbs but then on the next night I checked (Weds) it was at 2.5mb? Is that normal or at all related to my connection problems?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give,
Simon

23 REPLIES 23
James
Grafter

Re: Frustrated - please help !!

Hi Simon,
It sounds to me like you've done pretty much everything you can do to ensure that the problem isn't at your end.
I'd strongly suggest that you go to http://faults.plus.net and raise a fault so that we can investigate it and then send it onto BT for you.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Simon,
Can you provide a bit more information.
As you are using a Netgear router can you advise the noise margin, attenuation and speeds - from here http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=stattbl.htm
Also please advise the exact model of router as we may be able to get more advanced logging running.
What does this link say https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

There are lots of different types of 'no connection'.

• No connection to the router

• Loss of sync on router

• Router syncs but fails to logon

• Connected to the internet but no connection to a DNS server

• Connected to Plusnet but no connection to the wider internet

Maybe there are more that others can think of?  It sounds as if you have probably eliminated the first of these.  You could, if you want, run some tests to identify which of the others it might be.  But if Plusnet are on the case now, maybe you don't want to bother. 
simontailby
Dabbler

Hi folks,
Thanks for your fast responses - appreciated.
When I get home, if my connection is working, i'll try and do both jobs (get the information and use the Fault Reporter) as soon as I get in.
Cheers,
Simon

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You may have already done something along these lines, but if not when the connection next dies can you check if there is any connection to the internet by running the following
ping 212.159.6.9
If this works you could be looking at a DNS issue. If it fails the router has lost all internet connectivity, you should then confirm you still have connection to the router by running
ping 192.168.0.1

The other thing you haven't mentioned is whether you've found anything relevant in the router's logs around the time it dies.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
simontailby
Dabbler

Hi folks,
At my dad's using his PC just to post an update.
Ok, so since yesterday afternoon i've had virtually no connection. Had nothing at all until very early this morning, but even that went halfway through using the fault reporter.
Have called to Support and they have what they need from the reporter so now i'm just waiting.
As i've had no other connection time, i've been unable to post stats etc and try other tests you've all kindly suggested, but will do if I get a connection again any time soon.
BTW - if it helps, what I mean (I think) by no connection is that the power and ethernet lights are on on the Netgear, but the DSL flashes when you first power it up, then there's simply no other lights at all after that one has gone out. It's a DG834GT.
Cheers again for your support,
Simon
simontailby
Dabbler

Hi again,
PlusNet are looking into the problem now and looking at the last entry into my 'open question' it looks like they have referred it to BT as there is 'no sync' ?
Not sure what this means, but i'm hopeful BT can sort it soon.
Thanks again for all who are helping me.
Cheers,
Simon
James
Grafter

Hi Simon,
No sync is short for no synchronisation.
It means that your router is unable to latch onto the broadband signal on your telephone line.
Just to let you know, I've just checked your fault and BT were unable to find a fault, so I've asked them to look a bit harder.
simontailby
Dabbler

Hi James,
Thanks for the update and the explanation.
It's a little worrying BT say that can't find anything. Is there anything else I can check my end?
If not, i'll just have to wait and see what they say.
Cheers,
Simon
James
Grafter

Simon - It's a pretty common reply from BT, so I wouldn't be too concerned.
simontailby
Dabbler

Hi PlusNet guys,
Is there any news on my fault please?
I had a very small glimmer of hope last night as the ADSL Link light on my NetGear started flickering orange and then actually went green and stayed on. Unfortunately, this lasted literally minutes and then there was nothing again.
Thanks in advance.
Simon
James
Grafter

Hi simon,
Sorry to hear that the hope was short lived.
BT have asked for appointment times.  Could you possibly update your ticket and let me know once you have?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Is there definitely not a voice fault?
What happens if you dial 17070 and do the quiet line test from a wired-in telephone?
You should hear absolutely nothing - if you do, it's a likely voice fault.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

simontailby
Dabbler

Hi mate,
Thanks for your input.
Funnily i've added to my open ticket, as the broadband suddenly came back last night albeit very slowly.
I have a wireless phone, but can get hold of a wired one, so i'll try your suggestion tonight and check it out.
There is quite a bit of noise on the wireless phone, but thought was due to 'no wires'. Maybe not then...
Thanks for your thought.
Cheers,
Simon