Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free training

David_W
Rising Star

Free training

A report on the BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8091398.stm
stated that of the 17 million people not online, 11% of them would sign up if they were given free training.  Now, I'm not suggesting that PN give out free training, far from it, but if a lack of skills is a factor in people not signing up, why not use this to your advantage?
Which produces a guide to getting online and the most from the internet.  If PN were to write a similar guide, an easy guide to getting broadband connection, setting up hardware, as well as free software (firewall, antivirus), video's on how to do simple tasks (set up email, search the internet, create a home page etc.)  and market it as a beginners connection (low monthly line rental, low bandwidth, suitable for beginners) and include a CD/DVD with the software/guides/videos, wouldn't that attract the market who feel they do not have the skills needed to get onto the internet and open up a possible 1.7m new customers? (assuming 10% of the 17m signed up that is).
Or maybe with a possible 1m new customers, free training (vouchers at local college?) could be a pretty big incentive!
13 REPLIES 13
James
Grafter

Re: Free training

Realistically, becausee the awareness of our brand is more, it wouldn't generate that many signups unless we got really good press for it.
But I like the idea Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

most of what you requested is in the help section of the members centre, lots of videos etc.
http://www.plus.net/support/?helpheader=support

broadband
and many Libraries give free taster sessions and help
James
Grafter

True - But I like the idea of having all of that information on one page.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

You could create a DVD with all the videos on to send out with new routers
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
David_W
Rising Star

The CD/DVD was the main aim of the idea.  If people have little knowledge about getting onto the internet in the first place, having all the information on the internet is a bit of a chicken/egg situation.  They won't get on the internet without the information, they can't get the information without getting on the internet.
An easy, concise video presentation from setting up their computer, plugging in the router, setting the router up to connect to plusnet, setting up an email client (maybe provide a client on the disc).  Nothing technical, just a video with the presenter saying things like "This cable is plugged into the socket on your computer, which should be on the back, the other end is plugged into the white box (or whatever colour it is), do not confuse it with the smaller socket on the white box, that is for the telephone cable".
James
Grafter

I think it's a nice idea.
mal0z
Grafter

Linked with the referral scheme - it would work well I would think ?
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I like the concept, but share some of James' concerns on how effective it would be.
Might be worth a small scale Pilot investment to help assess its worth?  One of the 'Partners' might see this as a worthwhile investment?
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

craigyoung
Grafter

I like this idea too.  One thing which you only find out about AFTER you join Plusnet, unelss you read various customer comments and forums, is just how helpful they are with setting up your kit and solving problems.  It could be as simple as incorporating into your ads "we won't just send you a box and leave you to it.  You can call us, we'll talk you through it, make sure it's working and help you monitor performance.  You don't need to pay £50 for someone to set it up when you're with Plusnet because we're ALWAYS here to help."
That'll be £500 for the copywriting please.  Cool
jackoab
Grafter

Most councils run free courses through libraries and local colleges and they are also available through Learndirect. Also Help The Aged run courses for people of a certain age, I asked them if I could help with any training courses and was told they had more people wanting to help than wanting tuition so I think if people want to learn the opertunities are there.
mal0z
Grafter

Yes of course - but not everyone is within easy reach of a training facility especially in rural areas.
So still scope for others to help.
David_W
Rising Star

As free training does appear to be available, it could be a "complete package".  Advertising could be along the lines of "We'll guide you the whole way" with guys from PN looking for places near prospective clients who offer free training and arranging an appointment for them, as well as the DVD of videos specific to their connection/email.
jackoab
Grafter

The main point is that with the available courses there is no need to own any equipment as it's all supplied and anyone can just try it out, and if they then decide to buy Learndirect run couses on line and to a lot of people these are free, including course books and tutoring, I really can't see what Plusnet have to offer that can equal this.