cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free hotspots??

revdaveb

Free hotspots??

It seems to me everyone is offering free hotspot use, including (Spit) talktalk. However, even though now owned, or partly owned by BT, Plusnet does NOT offer this service. Is it in the pipeline?
12 REPLIES 12
mushy
Grafter

Re: Free hotspots??

I asked the same question a few weeks back and got told nothing in the pipeline and no plans to offer it.
itsme
Grafter

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

thirty-odd quid seems a lot for free wifi.  Roll_eyes
What about McDonalds?  Just sit in their car park if you don't want to buy anything, a favourite of many sales reps for a long time if they don't have 3G signal.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Most of the national coffee shops now offer free wifi.  I'm currently using Cloud whilst I am away from home.
stephanies

Hmm I am currently without broadband for a week waitiing for an engineer...in the meantime i have to log on to a BT Wi-Fi Hotspot at £5 a day even though I am paying Plusnet (owned by BT) to provide broadband which they currently cannot.supply........absurd???
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Welcome to the forums stephanies.  Drink coffee - it could be cheaper Wink Wink
On a serious point most libraries offer free wifi. Worth checking out.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Always keep a 3g dongle for emergencies.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Given the availability of free wifi I wouldn't purchase that device at £40. (Esp given that the usage by it comes off your limit)
In my local town, there are cafe's,pubs, and an McD offering free wifi you are almost tripping over them, however up here in the sticks there are a couple of bt fon access points (i.e. people who are paying bt for their bb).
gswindale
Grafter

They did offer it for a while a few years back; when it was harder to find a Hotspot!
The FON system is used by BT; but doesn't count towards your internet usage if another FON user is using it to the best of my knowledge; although with PN it would as it's an additional device rather than built in.
I have to say that it does seem strange that an ISP that was originally aimed at a slightly more technical userbase is now skimping on even basics that most other providers are supplying.  It seems to be that there is less & less to differentiate PN from the rest and it is, in fact, falling somewhat behind the market.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Quote from: artmo
Welcome to the forums stephanies.  Drink coffee - it could be cheaper Wink Wink
On a serious point most libraries offer free wifi. Worth checking out.

McD's is always good; however I don't seem to have a way now they've switched to 02 from The Cloud.
The Cloud's SMTP settings when put in my POP3 e mail prog worked fine.
o2's dont.
BEST WESTERN hotel chain also useful as all have freewifi.
revdaveb

Wouldnt it be nice if PN actually put in their 2 penny worth Smiley Free hotspots in Mc D, are fine, most pubs etc expect you to go in and obtain that days passcode. there are sometimes places I go that are not pubs, cafe's or mcD, and even a lot of mobile sim cards now offer free hotspot access, and yet PN do not? how does that work?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

You will get the standard/form answer.
"We only change products at refresh time, and don't pre-announce them"