cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Moderators!

thisoldman
Grafter

Re: Forum Moderators!

spider  jelv is not a mod and hence his views would be impartial and he is despite my often disagreements with  him, knowledgable and respected for such
zubel
Community Veteran

If you have any complaint about a particular mod, you may address your complaint via PM to one of the other forum moderators.
If you are not happy following that, feel free to raise a ticket for the attention of the Digital Care team, which will investigate the merits of your complaint and make their decision.
Cheers
B.
nadger
Rising Star

Anyone who has " modded" a forum knows how difficult it can be to be totally impartial. It's a thankless task and it has to be remember that they receive no form of reward for their services.
I think that we are pretty fortunate with the current mods and see no reason to change either the system or their powers.
thisoldman
Grafter

well and this is my opinion..............i sincerely believe that some of the mods no names mentioned are in grave danger of abusing their position.
Some of the proposed rules and the recent poll calling for a ban on text sms speak smacks of sheer stupidity and a complete ignorance of disability discrimination legislation.
Any attempt to intoduce a ban on  text speeech will be dealt with by the EHRC.
there are members who for various reasons  medical etc  can not type fully what they wish to express and i am totally disgusted at  any suggestion of a ban.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The recent poll did not 'call for the banning of text speak' it was there to ask a question. At no point has anyone said it is going to be banned, the poll was to gauge the reaction of the Community as a whole.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
csogilvie
Grafter

Actually, given the question for the poll is "Should we introduce a rule banning text speak" I'd say it does call for the banning of text speak...
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

No it doesn't - it asks whether we should.
Denzil
Grafter

Sounds like a question to me.
It has been touched on already, but the mods do not have free rein to do what they want. Their job is to enforce the rules. The rules are designed to ensure everyone gets their say, and that nobody is allowed to post offensive/illegal material. As with any set of rules, there will be many cases where a certain amount of interpretation is needed. This is where the job can be difficult, because with such a disparate group of users it is inevitable that some people will interpret the rules differently. I, for one, think that 99.9% of the time they do a very good job. They make the best judgement they can under the circumstances, and decisions are not personal or vindictive, but made in the interests of keeping the forum a nice place to be.
thisoldman
Grafter

well its time you updated yourself  oljim with dd legislation before you introduce any more contentious polls or changes
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

See my post in the poll.
You are wrong
I will add - for someone who has to use a text reader your post makes no sense as they wouldn't have a clue what dd stands for
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and I dont use a text reader, what does it stand for - Serious question
Donald Duck for all I know
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: thisoldman
well its time you updated yourself  oljim with dd legislation before you introduce any more contentious polls or changes

What's the law on Direct Debits got to do with all of this?
Text speak should be removed from forums as much as possible as it make's it incredibly hard for people whose first language is not english to follow conversations.  It also makes it hard for people using text readers to follow properly and finally - there is no point when you have a proper keyboard as it is just as quick to type properly than to abbreviate and come up with daft abbreviations that only the youngest/coolest kids will understand.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Thing is not only have I been mildly disabled all my life, I recently became a whole lot more disabled and have had a lot of interaction with various people and organisation where my rights and the rights of disabled persons was discussed, but I also for unrelated reasons recently wrote a essay that received a distinction for its mark about the current state of disability rights.
So I believe I am reasonably informed about the current status of disability rights legislation.
I see absolutely no conflict between disability rights and the use of text speak.
Before you go on to claim yet again that text speak should be allowed because of disability rights legislation you'd care to point out this legislation so that we can all read it.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

This is a perfect example of proving a point....
as Oldjim says....  
not only people who use text readers Jim.... I haven`t a clue what he means... and because of that the whole "sense" of the thread is lost...
so called txt spk.... is really laziness and a way for the uneducated to pretend they are "clever" by misusing the language they worked so hard at school to avoid learning properly...
Standard abbreviations have been used for years.... and some of the txt spk abbs will no doubt become commonplace amongst the fraternity that uses them, but in a "broadcast situation" such as an open forum, is just pointless when trying to "get the message across" to the wider public.  Can you imagine the news being read in txt spk?
e.g.  I was trained to use Morse Code, am still proficient at it.... but I would not dream of using it on the forum to communicate to a wide range of people... who have little or no knowledge of it... (you could argue that it would take a long time to print a message in morse code, but there are many Q and Z codes that can be used to reduce the amount of time to get a message across). and it has also been proved (see YouTube) that morse code can be quicker using plain language, than txt msging
as regards people with dyslexia..... those who suffer with this, are well aware of it, and do their best to survive with there problems.... if they "misspell" something.... then I would suggest that 99% of people on the forum will understand and make allowances for it........ at the very worst of  miss spelling, it will be reasonably clear what the person is trying to say, whereas txt spk is totally confusing to a great majority of people and guesswork is not an accurate way of transferring the meaning of a message between intelligent people.
I don`t know who EHRC is...  (East Hampshire Rural Crafts  ? ? ?  )   nor do I see what legislation has to do with the question either....
nadger
Rising Star

dd legislation
We've had quite a lot of discussion about Direct Debits but it's difficult to see what this has to do with forum moderators.