Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Findings After Rejoining Plusnet

FIXED
Donnygal
Dabbler

Findings After Rejoining Plusnet

I started Broadband with Force9 many moons ago, due to various factors, and work providing Broadband for a good while, I moved them from.  Been with TalkTalk for many years, had problems from time to time but usually fixed, this time speed was the problem and their total inability to understand my set up a retired female can!

So moved to Plusnet, change over not bad but about 24 hours without Broadband, was is missing, and what to TT do better.  First of all the Router, the clicking, driving me insane, but a replacement router, with the 5 speed switched off seems to be OK.  The great big blue light, hey I'm nearly 70 and do not need a light that large or bright, even when turned down.  Looks cheap and nasty.  Also with many of us now having a mesh system to reach all parts of the home & garden, the large orange light showing wifi switch off on the router is not necessary.  Those who know how to switch it off, know how to switch it on, others would never touch it.

Second big missing item, free blocking of calls with no numbers, and the free call monitoring service, which allowed me to select whether to receive a call when the caller said their name, as most hoax calls just didn't bother.  Surely if TT can offer this free to their customers, someone owned by BT would find it easy and inexpensive to install.

The good side, you can talk to someone who talks sense, and you can understand.

So all in all, am I delighted, no, disappointed, yes a little.  Has the speed issue been resolved, yes, shows it was TT and not me.

DG

Moderators Note: All caps title removed as per Forum rules

19 REPLIES 19
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: FINDINGS AFTER REJOINING PLUSNET

Plusnet is a low cost provider and this is reflected in their Hub One: it's cheap and cheerful and it works for thousands of us. I take your points re lights etc and fortunately there's an easy way out in the BT Home Hub 6 which you can buy for £10-£25 on any of the market sites -- I paid £15 on Gumtree which listed one only five miles away. Go to https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/td-p/1587673 for an excellent guide to setting it up. Better performance and you can adjust the lighting to suit yourself. Welcome and good luck!

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes I can understand what you mean about lights, my Branson Media box is in an area of my bedroom where it works just in a direction where I can't see it easily. If I wanted to, I could easily move it.

Just so it doesn't annoy me.

My sister uses the PlusNet connection and hasn't once yet moaned about it. That is pretty unprecented for her to not moan about me for anything - so I hope I am doing a good job. No news is good news, and all that. As somebody once said.

If the blue light bothers you, I would either move the router around or get some black tape to stick over it. Worst case, you can always remove it if you have a problem. 

Donnygal
Dabbler

Thank you both.  The router is located in the lounge, so, night time is not a problem, and being led probably not using much electric, but just think it is garish.  The clicking however, was in my ear, and very annoying.  While I appreciate they are a low cost supplier, and yes their service has been fine so far, I feel it lets them down.  Their costs atm not much different to BT.  Having their top service, and not having a better hub, is missing the market.

I am more angry with myself, for returning a BT 6 hub a friend had spare, but being conscious of recycling I was trying to be good.  My hubby the technophobe keeps saying the service cuts out for a minute or two then returns, but I cannot be sure it is him and not the service.  Black tape across a white router in the lounge, no I don't think so.  Will keep my ears and eyes open for a BT version.

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@Donnygal 

Your Hub One is clicking?

It may be faulty. When does it do that? My Hub One never clicks, with or without WiFi

Dave

Donnygal
Dabbler

Yes, they have provided a replacement, and it does seems better, however, reading the web, it seems it is a common fault.

Thanks

Donnygal
Dabbler

Is a Smart Hub 5 any use?  One for sale nearby at £7?  Wifi spread not important as have a Tenda Mesh5 system?

thanks

DG

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

PN Hub One may even be based on the HH5 -- others here can advise you better. But all I have read suggests that its replacement the HH6 is a much better router so I'd go for it if I were you.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yep the clicking does sound like you've had a faulty router and I hope the replacement sorted it.
My sister would soon be on my case if that happened to hers. 🙄

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Fix

@Longliner wrote:

PN Hub One may even be based on the HH5 -- others here can advise you better. But all I have read suggests that its replacement the HH6 is a much better router so I'd go for it if I were you.

The Plusnet Hub One is based on the BT HH5A (not the B or anything later).  The HH6 is only notably better in respect of its WiFi performance.

Personally I would never out of choice use anything out of the BT stable.  There are always better and cheaper choices everywhere, anywhere than BT ever since the BT Trim Phone!

Personally I like the Zyxel routers as used by JLP customers, for example the VMG3925-B10C which I have seen on eBay for as little as £21.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Donnygal
Dabbler

Thanks Townman

You brought back memories there as I had a Zyxel modem/router many moons ago, which always worked fine, until it was outdated.

Will certainly look it out.

Regards

DG

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Townman wrote:

Personally I like the Zyxel routers as used by JLP customers, for example the VMG3925-B10C which I have seen on eBay for as little as £21.

Couldn't agree more. Nice UI easy to use.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Donnygal
Dabbler

Just checking there would be no problem linking to my Tenda Mesh system?

Thanks

Donnygal
Dabbler

I have the right one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZYXEL-WIRELESS-VDSL2-GATEWAY-VMG3925-B10C/274484404003?epid=15040457098&_...

Thanks

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.
Donnygal
Dabbler

Well I but the bullet and managed to pick up the Zyxel router from ebay, arrived next week.  If I get stuck setting it up I maybe back!  Cheers. DG