cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre pricing anomaly?

JSHarris
Aspiring Pro

Fibre pricing anomaly?

I'm puzzled by the prices I've looked at for Fibre (a.k.a. SoGEA), and hopefully someone can explain the rationale behind it.

If I log in to my Plusnet account I can get a price to switch to Fibre of £26.99/month, with no free router etc (not that I need that anyway).  My understanding is that switching from my present FTTC/VDSL package to Fibre doesn't need any changes to settings - all it does it remove the phone service.

If I pretend to be a new customer and use another address very close to me for a price I can get Fibre for £24.99/month, plus a free Hub Two router.

Why is it that as a long-standing customer I would have to pay more for the same service?

13 REPLIES 13
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Re: Fibre pricing anomaly?

Ring up customer options and ask them to match it.

Details for Customer options team are on this page https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/thinking-of-leaving/
0800 013 2632

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

@JSHarris 

It's a bit like renewing an insurance policy, it's always best to phone with little pain on your side Plusnet would probably match a new customer price, if you have evidence of a like for like price from an alternative provider I would expect that to be matched or bettered.

For what it's worth, my "We've got a new contract deal for you" of £27.99 is £1.11 more than my current contract for Unlimited Fibre Extra, I'm in no rush to renew 14 months until my current contract ends.

JSHarris
Aspiring Pro

Thanks, it just makes me feel as bit uncomfortable having to call and haggle over the price of something that should be priced fairly for all, if I'm honest.  Also, it's only an accident that I discovered that new customers are charged less than existing customers.  I was reading a media article on the closing of the PSTN, that listed a few FTTC prices and I spotted that the Plusnet Fibre price was cheaper than I'd been quoted, so I checked to see if this was the case.

I had thought that this sort of thing was being stamped out by regulation.  Insurers (who always used to do this every year, without fail) can't get away with it any more, and they have to now offer the same prices to customers that are renewing as they offer to new customers: https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-releases/fca-confirms-measures-protect-customers-loyalty-penalty-h...

If it wasn't for the hassle involved in changing suppliers I'd be seriously thinking of doing this, just because I feel that this was an attempt to take an unfair advantage of me by deception.  Perhaps someone within Plusnet might wish to take note and consider a fairer pricing strategy.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Your concerns have been mentioned to plusnet many time over the years and have fallen on deaf ears.

Regardless of the legislation with insurance companies I have always phoned and received a better price if not I have moved on.

Dan

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@JSHarris 

ISP's need to make a profit so they generally have a standard price for their offerings. Then they'll have a marketing budget to offer deals to new customers to attract business.

It's how life is!

Brian

JSHarris
Aspiring Pro

I've taken the advice above and raised this with the customer support team. 

Right now I feel as if I've been a complete idiot in the past to just renew my Plusnet contract without behaving like a seedy market trader and haggling every time.  It has provoked me to look around at other suppliers, though, and some seem to offer the same service for around £22/month, even cheaper than the £24.99/month that new Plusnet customers are charged, and significantly less than the £26.99/month that existing loyal customers are asked to pay.

Even if Plusnet agree to charge me the same as a new customer I don't think I will stay with them.  This all smacks of sharp practice of the very worst kind, and morally I'd find it hard to give them any money in future.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@JSHarris 

Right now I feel as if I've been a complete idiot 

The sad truth it's about profit rather than customer satisfaction, lots of fish in the sea.

JSHarris
Aspiring Pro

Had a reply.  Bottom line is (my interpretation) "We will charge you whatever we want to, sucker".    The final line of the reply I received is that I'm free to move to any other provider. 

Seems Plusnet has zero interest in retaining long standing customers and would rather offer lower prices to new customers, whilst fleecing existing customers who are too dumb or lazy to shop around.

This has made my decision for me.  I have been very happy with the service from Plusnet over the past few years, never had any problems, but I'm damned if I'm going to be treated as a complete idiot and pay more just because Plusnet feel that I'm too stupid to switch to a cheaper provider.

To those that suggested that pricing was open to negotiation I can say for sure that this is not something that's been offered.  The email I've had says clearly that the higher price I've been quoted is the price they are going to charge me, that the lower price is only for new customers and that if I want a better price then I'm free to move to a different provider.  That's exactly what I will do, and I'd strongly recommend that anyone else impacted by this policy does the same.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Ringing COT as suggested by @dvorak in message #2 is probably your best option. Are you able to have someone who could do the haggling on your behalf? Of course, you'd have to be with them to clear security.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

@Dan_the_Van wrote:

The sad truth it's about profit rather than customer satisfaction, lots of fish in the sea.

Some companies do realise that it is cheaper to keep an exiting customer than it is to gain a new one. Keeping existing customers happy means that they will recommend you to family & friends - doing your marketing for you. Alienating existing customers does exactly the opposite, and you have to spend more on marketing to overcome negative sentiment.

You can actually make more profit by keeping your existing customers happy!

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@corringham 

Not disagreeing with your statement, but over the years I have notice plusnet often offer a higher price around six weeks before renewal price and then drop it closer to renewal date. Then a phone call drops the offer price further.

Very frustrating and a waste of everyone's time.

ToeKnee60
Grafter

Plusnet are no worse than most other companies when it comes to pricing at renewal.
Whenever my broadband or Sky TV contract or insurance policy is coming up for renewal I always haggle and get a better price.
The best time to haggle is when you get the email about 4 weeks before the end of your current contract.
Do your research first, and find out what price other companies are quoting for the same service, and use this as a negotiating tool.
When I phoned Plusnet I first quoted the new customer price that you can get by entering your address on their website without logging in.
When the sales rep said that the price was only available to new customers, I referred him to the email they had just sent me where it said "But don't worry, we have some great offers for you - even new customers can't get better".
I then quoted prices that other ISP were asking for the same service.
I ended up agreeing on a price £2 less than the new customer price and less than I was previously paying.
Keep calm, be firm but fair, and remain polite and you should succeed.
If you do decide to go to another ISP, read reviews first and make sure that they have a good record for customer service etc.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

@ToeKnee60 wrote:

Plusnet are no worse than most other companies when it comes to pricing at renewal.

That's not exactly a glowing endorsement.

Whenever my broadband or Sky TV contract or insurance policy is coming up for renewal I always haggle and get a better price.

When working out the cost of something I always mentally factor in the time and effort I have to spend in order to get a deal I'm happy with.

That makes Plusnet rather expensive.

In the past I have also run an account for a family member that was unable to do it themselves - without my efforts they would have had a very poor deal. They now have a better deal with another ISP deal costing a third of Plusnet's offer.