cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre optic installation - be very wary with Plusnet.

Niko08

Fibre optic installation - be very wary with Plusnet.

Decided to upgrade to Fibre as our local exchange has now been enabled. Rang Plusnet and placed my order the week before last. Plusnet take the cost of the delivery over the phone and agree yesterday as the installation date. I take the day off work to ensure the engineer has access to the house. I ring Plusnet at 1700hrs yesterday evening and they inform me that the engineer is likely running late and to remain at the house until 1830hrs. Guess what, no engineer, no text, e-mail or phone call from the award winning broadband provider to inform me of the no show. When I ring back it then transpires that my order, that Plusnet took money for, had not been processed!
Plusnet apologised for me taking a days leave without need. Apologised for not processing the order in the first place and apologised for not being able to get an engineer to me for another 12 days. So that is fine then, I asked for an earlier installation as they screwed up, "no we cannot, you are at the back of the queue". Well I do not want to take another days leave for the engineer to no show again, I responded, can we ask the engineer to make it his last call, "no we have no control over the engineers" they replied. I am afraid the Customer Service shown to me over this matter is wholly unsatisfactory and if Plusnet are not careful loyal customers like myself will begin to take business elsewhere. Sky are not enabling Fibre just yet, they learnt the lesson of poor Customer Service and broken promises, but if their recent installation of Sky HD to our home is anything to go by I will be moving my business to them sooner than I anticipated!
4 REPLIES 4
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Fibre optic installation - be very wary with Plusnet.

Hi Niko08,
I've just been looking into this in more depth and it was a problem with our system. I have raised this internally to see if we can find out what caused it. I'm sorry that it affected you and you waited in for nothing. Once you go on to your new product give us a nudge and I'll apply a discount for your trouble.
Jojo Smiley
Niko08

Hi Jojo,
Update, we are now connected and all is ok. The engineer arrived yesterday at 1pm, he did acknowledge that a note had been placed on his work ticket to attend at 5pm. It was therefore lucky when he turned up my wife had popped home for lunch and he was able to complete the installation. He did confirm he would not have returned if he found nobody in, so we were lucky!. Anyway that aside the new speed and service is very good. Thank you
Nik
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I suspect to add insult to injury that if your wife had not been in you would have been charged for a missed appointment (unless PN took the charge themselves).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gooner77
Grafter

I had a very similar issue to the OP. Last November we decided to upgrade to fibre and when the day arrived the engineer turned up to install the modem but the router hadn't arrived. I rang up to find out where it was.According to the customer support guy the router hadn't been ordered due "issues with the system"
I had to wait 3 days for the router to arrive and so was without bb for that time. To make things worse the engineer deactivated the phone socket in our bedroom without telling us. It took a few phonecalls and some heated coversations with an idiotic customer services rep who said it was our fault !!!!! We eventually got the engineer to come back and fix it (he even admitted to mistakenly deactivating the socket). The CS guy at Plusnet was so unbelieveably ignorant and frustrating to deal with.
I made a complaint and eventually got 2 month of discount on our line rental. I was not impressed with the customer support and I certainly won't be taking up Plusnets upgrades or extra offers any more
There just seems to be a culture of incompetence at PN  thats crept in over the last 18 months