cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling cheated

juliasdream
Grafter

Feeling cheated

I have been a customer with Metronet, then plusnet for years and always recommended them very highly as being the best.
Now I am afraid I am no longer so content
About 3 months ago I was paying around £14.99 a month for my broadband
I saw that I could reduce what I was paying by only a slight reduction in my usage by going onto the £11.99 package so I subsequently changed my package.
Since then, I havent been able to put my finger on it precicely but although I have restricted my own usage and my son's game playing I've noticed recently that my actual usage has shot up.
In spite of my precautions, last month I exceeded my paid for usage by almost 2GB
I can only think that sites in general are becoming more and more bandwidth hungry
I feel so restricted now that to stay within my allowance I have to restrict my activities to general browsing.
No more listening to music on Spotify. Stop my son from using Rhunescape and similar games, No more iPlayer.
The only solution I could see would be to change my package back as it was but then Plusnet have moved the goal posts
The £14.99 package has gone and the next option is £19.99
3 months ago I renewed my contract just to get a free replacement router - A big mistake
For the first time in years I have considered moving to a different provider. I see many much cheaper packages out there.
For £16.50 I can have a free Sky plus box + a Sky package + unlimited internet + Phone
Friends of mine pay £19.99 to Tiscali for unlimited BB, + phone + free local and international calls even though they say the customer service is a joke they say they are knowledgeable enough to live with that.
To be honest one thing that has kept plusnet in my favour has been great customer service.
Well to summarise I find I wish I'd never moved to the lesser package on plusnet because now I'm way too restricted
I resent being forced to pay £19.99 to get back what I was paying £14.99 for. I could have managed with the allowance it gave anbd dont really need unimitd
I feel trapped because I'm stuck in a contract for the next 9 months with only 2 options
I really dont feel I am now getting what I originally signed up for.
For the first time in years I feel I have becone a  dissatisfied customer
I cant help feeling somewhat cheated.and a bit squeezed

6 REPLIES 6
James
Grafter

Re: Feeling cheated

Hiya,
I'm sorry that you feel hard done by.
We didn't actually "move the goal posts".  We completely stopped new signups from the Metronet website because, well, we weren't getting any and keeping the Metronet sales pages seemed rather pointless.  However, I do understand that you feel that we're no longer offering you a product that suits your broadband usage.
I'll drop you a PM with a suggestion and we'll see where we can go from there.
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: juliasdream
... I've noticed recently that my actual usage has shot up.
Quote from: juliasdream
...No more iPlayer...

Do you use the download version of iPlayer, or the streaming version?
If you use the download one, and haven't changed the settings, its probably making all the shows you have downloaded to your computer available for others to download from you.
So you pay part of your allowance to help others download stuff.
Of course, if you have changed your settings, or don't use the download version and just stream your programs, its unlikely to be this causing your woes.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Catch up James! Since iPlayer desktop came out it doesn't use P2P.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Lurker
Grafter

I stand corrected. Embarrassed
snapper_mart
Grafter

I agree with this, I think Plusnet is way to expensive considering the restrictions it imposes. I have been with them for years but find that £24 a month with a 30GB limit is way too much, and there's no reward for loyalty. I'm looking at moving elsewhere now, sorry PN...you are pricing yourselves out of the market !
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Plusnet are not pricing themselves out of the market - in fact quite the reverse as I can't find anywhere cheaper than the Value product for 10GB usage in a Market 3 exchange.
Why don't you move to the unlimited product for £15.99 or £19.99 per month depending on whether you are in a Market 3 exchange.