Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback request

dlongson
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Feedback request

We receive a call on monday from "PlusNet Customers services" asking to speak to me - I wasnt  in, and they arranged to call back on Tuesday at 19:00. 

On Tuesday AM I called PlusNet customer services to verify the call. PlusNet customer services stated that they did NOT call me on monday, and that no-one had opened my file on the monday. They said  that they would never call unless to renew a contract. They said that I should NOT disclose any info to any callers, as it would not be definitely not be PlusNet 

On Tuesday at 19:00 "PlusNet" called again, and asked for confidential information. The Caller was adamant that they were on the feedback team for new customers, and that it was OK to answer the ID questions. I refused, much to the bemusement of the caller.

The caller then offered to send me an email, confirming who they were, which they did (and it LOOKED like PlusNet). It said that a new question had been opened on my account - but when I logged in, the question wasnt there. There was, however a note from PlusNet re the morning call saying that PlusNet hadn't called me the day before. The caller continued to insist that they were PlusNet.

I said that in view of the lack of any convincing evidence I couldn't continue with the call, but I suggested that if she wanted feedback, I suggested that Plusnet get their house in order regarding this matter - they cant both tell me that they haven't called and that "there are a lot of scams around", and then call asking for ID data. And they need a better way to validate the call - why wasnt it on my dashboard as an open question. However, the caller said they could not document my feedback as I hadn't progressed through her questionnaire "and there's nowhere to put those comments".

I felt sorry for her as I suspect she was real, but her own company had made her job impossible.

And as for not being able to take feedback on the feedback process - what a joke!

One grumpy and slightly fraught customer...

(postscript - now a message HAS appeared on my dashboard, as a "closed" question, stating that they had called but that I had failed the data protection test!!!!!)

10 REPLIES 10
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Feedback request

I strongly believe that it is Plusnet (and many other companies like Banks) who are failing the "Data Protection" process!   They all believe that you as a User has no requirement or right to be able to validate who the caller is.

A small number of companies are beginning to implement a two way authentication process where there is an agreed passcode that the User can request before continuing to the account verification process.  NOTE:  This could produce additional difficulties as this security information should NOT be passed on to a third party.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

If ANYONE calls me, and I decide to answer the phone (unlikely if the number is unavailable/witheld/unknown to me), and they decline to answer my request for their identity, all they get is 'goodbye'

John
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

This website has saved me tons of hassle as it provides feedback about the number from others that have received the call:

http://who-called.co.uk/

I got a missed call the other day from a weird number that rang once then hung up before I could pick it up. Looked up the number on the website and it looks like this particular caller was a scam that would charge £2 if you call it back.

I have looked up a few numbers reported on here about Plusnet calling and its almost always Plusnet that called - haven't come across a scam number yet. Do you have the number that they called you from? You can look it up and see what others have said.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Mav
Fixes: 514

I never ring back after missed calls unless the number is already in my phone-book and hence validated by me.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

dlongson
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Is it not possible to spoof Caller Line Identification?

http://www.spoofcard.com/

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@dlongson -it is, but my response above eliminates the problem - if the call is really important, the caller SHOULD leave a message, if they are merely random dialing, it is highly unlikely they will.

John
MauriceC
Resting Legend

To answer @jaread83 point.  It isn't that the call from Plusnet (or the Bank) is a scam, it's the insistence that I have to prove MY identity before they will discuss anything.  One way validation is very impolite when they initiate the call.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mav
Fixes: 514

@dlongson wrote:

Is it not possible to spoof Caller Line Identification?

http://www.spoofcard.com/

But if I call back from the number in my contacts list then I will not be ringing the spoofed number.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@MauriceC

I always tell the caller that I will not prove who I am so if they send information, I will attend to it in my own time.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
MauriceC
Resting Legend

I use the same response technique @SpendLessTime but it's the frequent disbelief / disappointment from the caller that can be very annoying.  My bank is the worst!  They seem blissfully unaware that security in this age of persistent scamming needs to be a two way process.

Perhaps plusnet will consider this for an entry in their growing list of things needing management attention?