cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed up with it now

RTW01
Grafter

Fed up with it now

Have been a customer from Jan 2009 paying £20 a month for Your way pro service ( and now have a plusnet home phone service). I was happy until now. After 3 weeks, 4 tickets ( 3 still open ) I can not game in the evening on my pc due to latency spikes of various length. I have completed all the tests ruling out my equipment as asked by various PN staff, I have provided (and can provide loads more) evidence of my problem. The issue is just affecting gaming my whole traffic profile is getting slowed. Every day since the 7th of June i have been getting excellent latency outside the peak hours - typically 35 -60ms for most uk game servers i try  - on different games COD, BFBC2 etc...but once evening comes i can anywhere from 35ms upto 600ms - Which makes playing FPS games useless - let alone waiting for internet pages to load up during these spikes (which can last most of the evening or a few mins).
Raising help ticket(s) in my case seems to have caused confusion within PN as i keep getting the same request/question over and over  - Which if someone had read the tickets in full or asked me questions to help clarify my issue i think we would be nearer a solution. However no one from PN has called me once  - i have called them 4 times now The last time today @ 12:30. No one has yet to answer my query of "am i being throttled" not that i download massive files - 80% of my online time is gaming which hardly uses any bandwidth up. I was told today my contention ratio is 50 :1 - is that right for a Pro package? My VP is ok apparently.

Is any]ne else on an old "pro" package that is getting useless gaming latency in the evenings? Am based in Market Weighton , East yorks. I may aswell play COD from the moon on an evening.  speed test run just now....
26 REPLIES 26
RTW01
Grafter

Re: Fed up with it now

add another test result  Angry

on a 7000k line that normally gives 35ms and about 6600 during the off peak hours of day...../sigh
more of the same
RTW01
Grafter

Speaking to two clan mates, who were thinking of joining PN - needless to say they are holding off
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

This sounds much more like a contention issue with your local exchange than anything in Plusnet's control?
Hope you get it sorted soon.
Chris
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Has contention on the VP you are connected to at the exchange been specifically checked, or is the "my VP is OK apparently" statement, which I assume came from support, based on BT not having announced any issues in that exchange?
If you download something across the midnight threshold does the download speed change at midnight?
David
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i play bc2 mainly, and yes i used to  have loads of problems with high pings on PN but eventually we sort of resolved it
firstly , you need if available to be on 21CN and have the upload uncapped.
this does make a fair bit of difference
secondly i found the thompson router 585 v8, poooh so i use a old BT HH2 seams a lot better for gaming.
next you need to go into router setup , and disable Upnp, unbelievable but yes it makes a difference  .
and now i game fairly good connection with the odd ping spike on the evening but its a vast improvement since i first moved to PN
i am in west Yorkshire , with extra package only , i did try pro add on but made no difference to gaming
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
RTW01
Grafter

"The VP for this circuit has been checked and has been found to be not over utilised currently." - from Matt
Things tend to return to normal before midnight.
Just seen rongtw added...
Thanks for the pointers im sure unless PN can sort this i'll have to look at that, But i have used this connection for 2 years without any problems, I want to know what has changed?

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Are you seeing the same slow speeds on a BT speed test, and do you get the same high pings when gaming? Most important thing is to try the BT speed test when the issue is apparent though.
RTW01
Grafter

Angry

BT speed test run just before this gave 4.7mps...
I have an Engineer coming on Mondaty for a BOOST visit....to check for cable corrosion Huh Funny how the cable corrosion only affects me in the evenings....
I have asked countless times if I am being throttled....still no answer regarding this
Its an absolute joke the service i get in a evening
WWWombat
Grafter

After answering another post on here (in the Broadband & Routers section), I just realised that you may be showing the same symptoms - that the problem could be your upstream sync speeds.
Certainly your upstream speeds are a bit better than on the other thread, but they still seem low. And the ping times are horrendous - but could be explained if packets require a lot of retries to get over a bad uplink.
Can you monitor and post a variety of the sync speeds, rather than (or in addition to) speedtest results? It would be good to get an idea of what theat is syncing at, and whether it is changing (ie disconnecting).
Funny how the cable corrosion only affects me in the evenings....

Interference has this horrible habit of only turning up in the evening. My parents suffered a problem that only started at around 5pm, and went on until 9 or 10pm. That was mainly because of interference caused by internal wiring.
As I said on the other thread, though, interference on upstream is comparitively rare.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
RTW01
Grafter

Not seen engineer...but aparently no faults, BT wholesale say "lift and shift" wont improve anything.. Enginner said its down to congestion/bottlenecks at peak time and I may have to lump it. Well this wasnt an issue till June 7th so why lately?
Therefore at square one again. PN confirm i am not being deliberately throttled.
will mention upstream sync to PN in my ticket
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I can see the usertools exchange checker is reporting the VP status as green but that's from June, so I've emailed to find out the latest on the exchange and will let you know as soon as we have any information back.
RTW01
Grafter

Still not identified or fixed, Reported this on June 7th..... Angry
dannyflounders
Grafter

I would not rely on speedtest.net or pingtest.net for results as you will find they can be extremely inaccurate.
In fact, at present the manchester server is given extreme erratic results.
If you are going to use those services, you need to be completing at least 3 tests from different servers / locations.
My brother tried manchester last night and got 87 ping, 7 jitter, very poor line.
Immediately tried Maidenhead and got 31 ping, 0 jitter and grade A line.
So don't rely on those tests, you need multiple tests.
Also some tests may not work properly if your router is blocking ping from wan (internet side), such tests are found on dslreports website for example.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

nearly all PN lines are routed throught the London data centre in Docklands, that is why you results are like that