cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fault fixing time - bamboozled with terminolgy

ayrejc

Fault fixing time - bamboozled with terminolgy

I raised a ticket re slow speeds - estimated at max 62mb on signing up and now running sub 30 mb.  Once we got over the max speed is just that a fault was found on the line.  Ticket has been open for 8 days now with no increase in speed to anything close to what I am paying for.  Can you explain the folliwng?
Battery Contact Fault (msg on 31st Jan)
Question returned to BOT - Phone Faults - Logged Pool (1st Feb)
Holding till ERT (4th Feb)
WHat do all these mean and when I can I expect my speed to resumed?
10 REPLIES 10
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Fault fixing time - bamboozled with terminolgy

Hi ayrejc,
I'm really sorry that the fault is taking a long time to resolve. Unfortunately some faults can take longer than others to fix.
The fault you've got is on the telephone side of things which is likely to be causing problems with your Fibre service. The acronyms are put as an internal comment and are meant for other members of the Support Team.
A Battery Contact Fault is a fault external to your premises which requires an engineer to go out and resolve. This generally takes 24-48 hours from the point we provided the most recent update. Our Faults Team will be back in touch as soon as a further update is available.
ayrejc

Ok so what counts as the most recent update from which the 24/48 hrs counts?  I had updates on 31st Jan, 1st and 4th Feb?  Speed is now 9.61 mbps vs max of 62 mb.  I was getting 13 on my previous provider via adsl 2
picbits
Rising Star

Not sure if this helps but a description of the battery contact fault has been discussed here :
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=11746.0
Basically it looks like somewhere between your house and the exchange (or cabinet) there is some excessive leakage from your phone lines to someone elses phone lines in an electrical sense - most often caused by water ingress (sometimes it can be insect or rodent damage).
As you can guess, not an easy thing to try and trace but can cause absolute havoc with data signals !
ayrejc

Now fault has been returned to the BOT - Phone Faults - Logged pool again from where it started on 1st Feb.  Lots of updates and we end up where we started with no real information provided if you dont speak support.  PLusnet - can someone just tell me when my fault will be fixed?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The way we work faults is by putting a particular fault type, in a particular fault pool. The relevant skilled advisor will work said pool.
So you have a Phone Fault, once this is raised to our suppliers, your fault ticket will be put into BOT - Phone Faults - Logged. The ticket will have been released off hold as it will now alert the advisors working on this fault type to pick your ticket up.
Your fault isn't back to square one, it's very much being looked at still. Please allow us some time to pick your fault back up, and we'll be in touch.
ayrejc

OK - that makes sense now - at least I can understand that there is progress - thank you
ayrejc

Dear Plusnet - could I please have another translation and update on where the progress really is.  Despite assurances in previous posts that the fault was in progress and was being allocated to the correct pool I have just now received an update to my fault
[mremoved] - BOT - DSL Logged Faults
2:54pm, Thursday 6 Feb 2014
Dear Mr Ayre,
Thanks for your patience during our investigation.
Our testing has identified an exchange fault on your line on the broadband side of the connection. This has now been raised with our wholesale provider for further investigation, please allow 48 -72 hours for a update. I do apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
unquote
This is the exact same message that I received on the 31st January
[mremoved] - BOT - DSL Logged Faults
3:59pm, Friday 31 Jan 2014
Dear Mr Ayre,
Thanks for your patience during our investigation.
Our testing has identified an exchange fault on your line. This has now been raised with our wholesale provider for further investigation, please allow 48 -72 hours for a update. I do apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
unquote
Could you please tell me just exactly how far correction of my fault has progressed since the 31st? I am now very frustrated
jim:csa
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It looks as though a further telephone fault has been found.
Upon retested your line to ensure the line is clear of faults, a further issues has been detected. Due to the tests we run, we don't have a specific location as to where the fault lays. The note does mention an Exchange Fault - this technically isn't absolute.
The fault found is 'Copper Joint Fault'. Although this has been detected when testing your fibre service, it looks as though there's still something quite not right. An engineer will go back out to investigate further.
As soon as we hear back from our suppliers with a further update, we'll be back in touch.
ayrejc

THank you Chris - I can understand that update  Grin  Does this mean my line speed has improved or still running at sub 30 mb?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Really sorry that the update provided o the ticket isn't as clear - I'll feed that back.
The speeds are unlikely to improve straight away - we're best off waiting for the further investigation to complete and we can take things from there.