cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster Standard Fibre Broadband - Like BT...

ChrisGn
Grafter

Faster Standard Fibre Broadband - Like BT...

Now that BT has increased the speed of it's Standard Fibre Broadband from 38Mbps to 52Mbps, at no extra cost, and that it's existing customers can request an upgrade from 38Mbps to 52Mbps at no extra cost, does Plusnet intend to do the same?

8 REPLIES 8
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Faster Standard Fibre Broadband - Like BT...

There are no plans to at present.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

godsell4
Rising Star

I read on the thread from TBB that existing BT customers will be moved automatically to 52Mb in a few weeks time.

--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
dnpark38
Rising Star

Any reports of what the BT customers on up to 38 Mb actually gained if anything?

How is BT achieving the better speed new technology?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Very simply BT Openreach offer 4 fibre products

40/2, 40/10. 55/10 and 80/20 and all BT retail have done is changed their base product from 40/10 to 55/10 so only those customers who were hitting the 40 limit will see an improvement

dnpark38
Rising Star

Well I hope Ofcom and Advertising Standards people get on to them real quick.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Why would Ofcom or Advertising Standards get involved, surely customers have a responsibility to understand what is being offered? People with a line capable of getting the higher speeds will get higher speeds. In my case my line is capable of getting the full 80/20 offering, however I don't need than and for simple economics have chosen the now no longer available 40/20 product.

ChrisGn
Grafter

Surely, this depends on how people use their broadband.  People normally live streaming video etc would probably see no improvement, however for people that download, they get an ~37% increase in download speed, which is very noticeable on large files.

Orac

@Mustrum wrote:

Why would Ofcom or Advertising Standards get involved, surely customers have a responsibility to understand what is being offered? People with a line capable of getting the higher speeds will get higher speeds. In my case my line is capable of getting the full 80/20 offering, however I don't need than and for simple economics have chosen the now no longer available 40/20 product.

Absolutely people should understand what they're getting. However, they can only do that if all the salient information is made available. PlusNet seem to avoid any discussion of upload speeds in the pre-ordering process, so how is one to know? 2Mb upload is little better than I was getting from ADSL and can reasonably be regarded as pants but fortunately I don't do a lot of uploading so the effect is minimal for my usage. If I required to do a lot of it, however, I'd probably be pretty hacked off at the lack of disclosure in advance.