cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTH maximum data rates

Duane

FTTH maximum data rates

Hi. I am about to be upgraded to ftth by Openreach! Does Plusnet offer speeds over 76Mbps yet i.e. 150 or 330Mbps options?  If not, are there any plans to offer these higher speeds? Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: FTTH maximum data rates

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

PlusNet only offer the same speeds as the FTTC products so basically a maximum of 80/20Mbps. In the early days of the FTTP trial I think some customers got higher speeds but they stopped providing them. I don't suppose PlusNet will tell us why this change happened.Huh

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

From what I can see there's just FTTP On Demand available at your address which is quite a costly service and something we're not offering at all. I'd recommend checking here for WBC FTTP availability.

Unfortunately we are at the moment just providing speeds of 40mbps or 80mbps for our FTTP customers.

With regards to offering faster speeds we've no news to share I'm afraid.

When/if WBC FTTP becomes available if you're interested I'd recommend signing up here

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Here is a recent update on FTTP on Demand (Feb 2018)  - it may not be so expensive after all?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Not so expensive? Funny

Have a look on TBB and you'll see most estimates are for £39,000!

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

@MauriceC, from what I've read about peoples quotes for the install, that part of the cost is massively increased, with many peoples quotes coming out at £39,000 + vat!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Read the linked article.  From Feb 2018 there are major changes in FTTPod charges - including build costs.  Detail is scarce at the moment but are expected to be much lower, with options to "club together" to keep costs low.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

The prices @pjmarsh and I quoted are the major changes post Feb 2018. I suggest you read what was linked.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Yes Maurice that was what was expected to happen in February, but what has happened is that the monthly costs are much lower, but the build costs are significantly more.  You can save £700 per additional property by clubbing together, but from what has been seen in that thread is that the "number of properties passed" (ie the number you can club together with) is usually pretty small, and they won't tell you which properties those are.

This is probably all quite off topic though, unless the OP is open to FTTPoD.

Edit: @Browni beaten me to it again!  Only just noticed that he got in first on the previous post as well!

Browni
Aspiring Hero

I'm typing with one hand as well Grin

Duane

Thanks to everyone but my request was about ftth not fttp On Demand. I am *about* to be upgraded (next couple of months) so it will not show up as available to me yet. As BT have been offering the faster rates for some time I was surprised Plusnet don't have this as an option - more revenue for them! I've been very happy with Plusnet for about 15 years so I really want to stay and will hang on at a lower speed for a while if I know faster speeds are coming.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cheers for the clarification @Duane

Let us know when it's available and you've raised a trial ticket and I'll happily place the order for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Duane

As with anything else in life there are no guarantees as to the future products offered by PlusNet - you only have the here and now.

You can have either 38/10 or 78/20 from PlusNet on FTTP. If you want (or need) anything faster you'll need to look at BT (or possibly someone else - not certain if anyone offers faster other than BT).

Brian

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

The most up to date list of all FTTP Providers (usingOpenreach WBC FTTP) can be found at https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/ultrafast-broadband/ultrafast-fibre-buy-...

Look under the heading "Get Ultrafast for your home" for the links to suppliers.

And yes other providers do offer faster than 80/20 so I would check out all those listed. It isn't a long list and while some are priced at business levels others like Zen are more home classed.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT