cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Excellent but starting to slow

stevenb
Grafter

FTTC Excellent but starting to slow

We upgraded to FTTC a week ago and were very pleased with the speed we were getting, over the last week i i have been moving cables and the openreach router so i had to disconnect it a few times and it seems our speeds have started to drop.
Maybe the exchange thinks we have a fault so it has dropped our speed from 20Mbps to 15Mbps. The router and cables are sorted out now so if we could have a reset back to 20Mbps that would be great
BT IP Profile for your line is - 17.33 Mbps

22 REPLIES 22
stevenb
Grafter

Re: FTTC Excellent but starting to slow

www.dslchecker.bt.com says i should be getting faster speeds than 17.33 Mbps

High Low      High   Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 29.1 20.4 6.5  4.6 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 23.2 11.4 5.6   2.5 -- Available

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

IIRC Fibre resets are not something that can be routinely done. It will undoubtedly be your disconnections that have triggered this, especially if they were in a short time-frame. Fibre DLM can be very aggressive in this respect especially in the first day or two. Hopefully one of the DCT CRT will pick this up for you and see what can be done.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi stevenb,
I've taken a look over your line and there's nothing currently stopping it from receiving higher speeds in terms of your profile.

The highest your line has synced at is 20.2Mb/s, it has dropped slightly lower which may pick up again the next time you have a resync,
Anotherone
Champion

That all looks pretty good, thanks for the info Chris but it looks as though BTOR's estimates might not be so hot (again) obviously stevenb might have hoped to be nearer the 23M but I suppose they do give a range and at least you aren't as low as 11.4. Huh
I'd leave it for a few days and then when things are quiet weatherwise - no lightning - I'd login to the router and Disconnect the PPP session, then power it down and then power down the modem and leave it all off overnight. Power up the modem in the morning, wait for it to sync up and all the lights go steady, then power up the router, login into it and Connect your PPP session. Then run the BTw test to see what the Profile is which hopefully might be better (and not worse!)
The Download speed may not improve immediately until your Current Line speed (Login required) catches up - again on the assumption it improves  Wink
stevenb
Grafter

My speed has dropped again today, when the BT engineer installed my FTTC he said  i was getting 20M and it might improved a little over the next few days, instead of improve i have lost 1/4 of my speed. Why is my speed dropping is there a fault with my line?
I was hoping to get around 20M, even www.dslchecker.bt.com says i should be getting better then 16M download.
IP Profile for your line is - 17.06 Mbps
Anotherone
Champion

Have a read of this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,130416.0/topicseen.html for a few tips, but keep all your specifics here. If you're on a fixed IP address seriously think about setting up the TBB BQM.
Try the overnight power off as mentioned in my reply #4 to see if you get any improvement.
What exchange are you on?
stevenb
Grafter

I will try and power off tonight and see if that helps.
I am on the below exchange, it was only upgraded to fibre a few weeks back, the BT engineer said i was the 2nd person to get FTTC from that exchange.
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NESHL
Anotherone
Champion

Hmm, wouldn't expect it to be a congestion issue, but it might well depend on what's going on at the parent exchange.
stevenb
Grafter

I powered down last night, reconnected this morning, ran a BT speed test and i get the below result.
Tried it another 3 times and still get the same result, i will try again later but it looks like i slowed down even more. If i slow down much more i may as well go back to ADSL2+.

1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 15.47 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 3.81 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.
Anotherone
Champion

The BTw checker is a bit borked atm, and can give stupid results from time to time. Try it again later.
Can you run the TBB checker http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html  
stevenb
Grafter

Anotherone
Champion

Just so that we are certain that there are no internal wiring issues, the modem is directly connected to the top socket on the vDSL plate fitted to your master socket, and it's only a short lead to the modem?
stevenb
Grafter

Yes that's all correct.
This test result seems a little better
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, check your Current Line speed (Login required) I should have remembered to say that before, any update to your profile will have taken a short while to propagate.