Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Bonding

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

FTTC Bonding

At present I am with Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra with Plusnet phone line with anytime call plan. How much it cost for openreach to add a new 2nd line by the master socket and will Plusnet giving more discount for dual line rentals with dual FTTC (2 x 80/20) to have 160/40 bonding line? Will Plusnet support FTTC bonding? And Bonding fibre router?
Just wondering how much it gonna to cost!
14 REPLIES 14
AndyH
Grafter

Re: FTTC Bonding

They don't support bonding.
You can get two connections and a dual wan router, but do you need the bandwidth?
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

At this stage of deployment I would guess it unlikely that BT would support this feature on a Residential account.   The Fibre capacity at exchange level is finite and probably delicately balanced.   A very small No. of Users wanting the capacity you suggest could topple the pack of cards?
Why do you need such a vast amount of bandwidth?
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I just bonding FTTC + Cable together and got this:

So maybe 2 x FTTC will be better than Cable
AndyH
Grafter

Surely 2x cable is faster download?
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Virgin Media won't allow 2 x cable feeds as I did ask them.
Melancholie
Grafter

Plusnet don't support and won't discount. Regardless FTTC won't touch VM cable for performance as it's a lowest bidder solution from a company dedicated to spending the bare minimum on network to save cash for football games. Do try not to post threads on Cableforum then come on here pretending the speedtests are yours.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

@Melancholie the speedtest is genuine by myself. If u don't believe me, I suggest u go somewhere else!
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Isn't FTTPoD a possibility? Sure it'll be expensive, but you could get 330/30 Mbps.
GeordieMark
Grafter

Tell Virgin you live in a student household and you want your own connection, probably the easiest way to do it.
What are you using to bond those lines? Firebrick / *nix box with pfsense or something along those lines I'm guessing?
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I bond these lines with software called connectify dispatch pro
Melancholie
Grafter

Quote from: goldenfibre
@Melancholie the speedtest is genuine by myself. If u don't believe me, I suggest u go somewhere else!

I'm fine, thank you.
I actually do bond 2 x FTTC lines together with a hardware solution. Take a minute and do some basic mathematics - how do you propose that 2 x 76Mb is faster than 1 x 152Mb + 1 x 76Mb? If you're hoping for it to be faster on upload there are some quite specific situations where it is of benefit, most of the time this isn't the case.
To explain I have doubts it's yours as you were 'claiming' you were going to purchase 152Mb. Funny how 152Mb cable + 76Mb VDSL for you seems to equal dead on the speeds your mate, as mentioned by someone else on that thread you were happy to pretend it was yours and went as far as claiming it was a single line, was getting rather than the over 220Mb down you should be getting.
Strange how you posted both there and on Overclockers (again bang on the speeds you're claiming to get here, must be a coincidence clearly that your mate's 2 services and yours run at exactly the same speeds) all excited but haven't said a word on either of them now you're apparently online.
Mightn't be lying, but the boy who cried wolf, hence I think a little suspicion is entirely appropriate and apologise if I'm wrong.
However to help:
No, Plusnet don't have a facility to discount for 2 residential lines. You would need business services to try and negotiate discounts.
Yes, they will support load balancing as they don't see anything on their side and don't know it's being done - I use 2 different ISPs and load balance between them.
If you are after 'true' bonding you will need to purchase a VPN concentrator out in the Internet and an appropriate piece of kit on your side to route all your traffic from both lines through that VPN. It is impossible to have true bonding just via a bit of software or hardware at home.
GeordieMark
Grafter

I was going to do this at home but isn't really worth it for the price of 2 lines + the hardware to bond them, also apparently there's no spare pairs on my DP to connect another line to according the OR engineer who attended last week Sad
Melancholie
Grafter

Dropping one of my lines when feasible. Been stable enough not to worry and resent paying so much relative to Virgin or others for so little compared to them.
<120Mb costing £80/month all in isn't great for two people who only have landlines as they are required for the Internet access.
GeordieMark
Grafter

Works quite well using the software mentioned above, using my Virgin line + EE 4G tethered...