Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive email storage warnings are confusing - see ticket 65174710

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Excessive email storage warnings are confusing - see ticket 65174710

Today I received notification that my on-line email storage was over the AUP, however the notification appeared to be two letters in one (is someoone trying to save electronic postage costs?).
The first part states...
Quote from: support
We're contacting you to let you know that one or more of your mailboxes has become very large and now exceeds the maximum amount of email storage we allow - http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/aup.html
After 7 days we will reassess the situation and if the size of your mailbox(es) remains unchanged then we may have to archive some of your email. Any messages that we do archive will be deleted after 30 days unless you contact us prior to this to request a copy of the messages.

Then further down the email / ticket, it continues...
Quote from: support
We contacted you recently to ask that you reduce the amount of email you're storing on our servers. Despite sending you this notice, it appears that one or more of your mailboxes still exceeds the maximum amount of email storage we allow - http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/aup.html
We will reassess the situation in a week's time and if necessary will take further action then.

So am I on a 'slapped wrist first notification' or am I on a 'bad boy spanking notice' for having taken no action?  If it is the latter, it would have been nice to have had the former first  Wink  Note that a very long time ago, I did receive such a notification (cannot recall which of my two PN accounts this was on) and I quickly dealt with the issue.  Is it possible that some residual flag has caused this rather confused communication?
Whatever, given that the mail space is used by all family members, it would be really helpful if such notifications identifed the size of each mailbox... there by identifying where to focus one's attention!  Without such information, the kids are going to say "not me, not me" and SWMBO is going to say "mind your own business"... there again it might be me who is guilty!  Any chance of some hints on the ticket please?  Huh It is a real shame that email clients (unlike MS Outlook with a MS Exchange server) do not provide user accessible information on the size of email folders.  Thinking about which, if feasible, I'd welocme a monthly notification of what resoures I'm using... would give one a very clear indication of what we get from PN for our megar charges!  Cheesy
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

3 REPLIES 3
James
Grafter

Re: Excessive email storage warnings are confusing - see ticket 65174710

We need to revisit the wording on large mailbox notices.
Note that this will apply to a specific mailbox - not *all* of your mailboxes.
I'll try and have a look at this later on today if I can make some time.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

James,
Thank you  Yes that is shouting and its big!
What a stunningly fast and understanding response.
I'll try and fix the problem just as quickly if PN are able to offer me a pointer...
Regards,
Kevin.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

James,
I guess you must have prodded someone... thank you.
The information provided indicates...

• The AUP applies to the sum of all email boxes thus the suggestion that the notice applied to just one mail box would (sensibly) appear to be incorrect

• SWMBO topped the utilisation with 24% of the space  Cheesy - sent her off to do some house cleaning  Lips_are_sealed

• I still appear to have stuff left around for my historic / redundant PN emailing lists - need to review this and possibly get some tech assistance

The last point makes me wonder how much residual redundant space is taken up with other people's historical PN mailing lists?
I'll leave you to ponder over the wording and content of these AUP notices.

For what its worth: to those who think PN's customer service delivery is poor - it is now less than 2 hours since I received the AUP email and sought clarification and additional information - I think this is simply first class customer service from a can do organisation.  The issue that so many contributors have on these pages is recognising that resolution of many of the issues reported lays outside of PN's direct control.
Cheers,
Kevin