cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Event streaming 10/6

page80
Dabbler

Event streaming 10/6

I don't like to just jump on the forums to complain, but yesterday evenings event streaming wasn't a great experience for me.
I don't know what the issue was.  According to speedtest.net I was getting below normal speeds of about 50 Mbps down and about 8 Mbps up, but that should have been plenty to stream the Apple keynote live at 18:00.  I have a suspicion that the E3 announcements which began earlier and went on during this period may have had something to do with it, but basically, I could watch 15 seconds of HD stream, then it buffered for about 90 seconds to get me another 15 seconds.
In the end I had to resort to connection sharing my iPhone through Three at about 8 Mbps to get an HD stream.  I couldn't get my Plusnet fibre connection to stream reliably via Apple TV, a desktop or iPad.  I didn't try an E3 stream (because that wasn't what I was trying to watch), but I couldn't get anything reliable between 18:00 and about 21:00 when I stopped trying.
Did anyone else have any experience of either the Apple keynote or E3 streams last night?  I expect it was fine for most people, but mine was unwatchable.
5 REPLIES 5
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Event streaming 10/6

I've just been taking a look into this with our resident traffic management guru™ and it looks like the amount of uploading you did at the time was the likely cause of the streaming impact. You were pretty much maxing out the upload speed on your line, which means the 'ack' packets can't be sent so your download/stream suffers. Try restricting the upload to around 8-10Mb next time you want to stream and upload and that should help fix the problem.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
page80
Dabbler

Nice one Chris, thanks for looking into it - I'll certainly keep a closer eye on uploads when I want to stream in future.  I've never had this issue before though, which is strange and I'm not aware that there was any uploading going on.
I've got an SNMP monitor and log on my network for my router, so I'll go back and take a look at my recorded uploading during that period.  Normally, it's never that high.
Is there somewhere on my Plusnet account I can check my download/upload bandwidth usage in realtime for my entire connection?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I can give you a breakdown of your upload download for yesterday on a ticket if you like? It's not something we offer in realtime but there are a few bandwidth meters out there that can do this for you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
page80
Dabbler

I've just had a look at my applications and graphs and I can see what it was now.  It's useful to know the cause though so I can be aware of this in the future.  Thanks for the ticket, and thanks again for checking Chris - this will be helpful come the next streaming event for whatever product launch! Smiley
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Anything you want to watch at E3 streamed live will always have buffering.  So yes watched most of the Gametrailers stream of the PS4 announcement last night and it was the stream, as it simply had thousands if not hundreds of thousands all trying watching it all live and spam the associated irc chat.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November