Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop in broadband speed after fixed line fault

mlavende
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Drop in broadband speed after fixed line fault

Hi Guys,
I wonder if anyone from the Plusnet side can help me please? In the last few days we've had a problem with our phone line where we couldn't get calls in. Calls out were ok and the internet seemed ok although the router logs showed a few line drops.
I phoned BT and the openreach guy came and had a look. Apparently we had an old unused set of wires that were shorting. They've been fine for years but hey!
While he was here he also fitted a proper BT master socket. Consequently everything is back to normal and my sync speeds are even better than they were before. They were 17Meg and are now 18.
The problem I have is that my actual download speed which dropped while we had a line issue hasn't gone back up and is about 12Meg according to the speedtest. Before the problems it was about 17Meg since we are very close to the exchange
Is this something that will go back up on it's own or could someone reset a magic switch for me please? I think Joanne did that once before.
Thanks for any help you can give
-Mat
5 REPLIES 5
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Drop in broadband speed after fixed line fault

Hi there,
It may go up on its own, if not we can reset the SNR for you and allow the line to retrain but we'd rather see a couple of days' continuous connectivity before we arranged that. Unfortunately your connection has only been up for around 3 hours, but if it's still connected after the weekend we'll happily reset the SNR first thing on Monday and let the line retrain then.
Hope that helps.
mlavende
Rising Star

Blimey, that was quick 🙂
Thanks for the reply Matt. I'll keep an eye on it and be in touch on Monday if it hasn't gone back up.
Thanks again
-Mat
mlavende
Rising Star

Hi Matt,
did you reset something with my line, since the speed has gone up slightly? I get about 15meg/sec download now?
It's not as good as before despite being assured by the BT guy it should be better now we have a proper BT master socket installed.
If you haven't done anything, please can you reset the SNR as you suggested. How long would this take to retrain please?
Thanks
-Mat
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Matt didn't put one through on Monday so I'm not sure what that was, however I've just submitted one for you which should begin to take effect within a couple of hours and should restart a 10 day training period.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mlavende
Rising Star

Thanks Adam,
let's see what happens to the speed then
Cheers
-Mat