cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download sites

Grff
Grafter

Download sites

I'm busy rebuilding a laptop for a friend, and most things (such as crossloop) have downloaded at over 100k, which is fine for my connection.
However;
adobe reader, from ardownload.adobe.com is downloading at 13k /sec
avast av, from software-files-l.cnet.com is downloading at 18.2 k/sec
and i'm not even going to mention how long windows updates are taking.
I'm assuming the first two sites above are classed as download sites and subject to restrictions. Surely restricting them to those abysmal speeds is not on.  I mean, over 30 minutes to download adobe reader on a 3.5mb connection is a joke (26mb file).
If its just their sites themselves that are busy I'll understand, but I doubt it's that.
I'm paying £20+ and have been with Plusnet for years, so would really expect to get what speed my line can do. It's not like i'm on a free connection or paying a fiver.
Maybe i'm meant to stay up after midnight and rebuild the laptop and the other desktops I repair.
Or maybe i'm meant to go elsewhere for my broadband.
17 REPLIES 17
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Download sites

these are the expected max spped you can get when downloading  http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm
note the part at the bottom, I beleive that the Windows is also classed as a download site
Classified Download Sites and Download Servers
*Download Sites

Adult bouncer
    badonga
    Bangbros Online
    guba.com
    imageshack.com
    Kingdom.com
    megaupload
    metainterfaces.com
    narrowstep.com
    rapidshare
    sendspace.com
    wildrose.net
    TerraSpace
**Download servers
    German Mirror site
    Ireland Mirror site
    Kent Mirror site
    Level 3 CDN
    Limelight Networks CDN
    Akamai 1-5 IP ranges are:
    213.203.218.120 - 127
    193.1.193.0 - 127
    212.219.56.128 - 191
    80.67.81.0 - 255
    80.67.87.0 - 255
    84.53.134.0 - 255
    84.53.136.0 - 84.53.137.255
    213.254.200.0 - 63
Grff
Grafter

that's all good and well, but downloading them at 25kb /sec.  When i've got a full machine to rebuild, it takes all evening to get it done.  And that's just downloading software, drivers, and windows updates.
Now, at 12.45am;
adobe reader - 450kb/sec - 1m 17 seconds. (i gave up after 30 minutes earlier this evening)
the avast download - 412kb/sec
I'm all for restricting things at peak times, but at least make them useable.  Angry
mikko
Grafter

I'm definitely not for restricting things at peak times.
If you're on a Local Loop Unbundled exchange you could try Surfanytime or Xilo. If you're unlucky enough not to be LLU then I know that Newnet is very OK.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The Pro package does not have download throttling, but as an off set to keep the price similar, it has got 20G peak as against 80G, it is possible to change packages for a month, but you would come back on the extra package at lower price but 60G
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Griff,
If you wanted to change to Pro for a month in order to get the better speeds, in this case we'd be happy to move you back to Premium afterwards if you require it.
WebDude
Grafter

Never heard of crossloop, but my guess is that if Adobe or some other (widely used) applications all had a security download and 'pestered' users to download the upgrade / fix, the network would suffer considerably if there was no throttling of listed sites during peak hours (and after all, "peak hours" for home users are likely to be any time up to midnight).
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Googles your friend
#
CrossLoop - Affordable Online Computer Help - Technical Support ...
Get Online Technical Support, Computer Help, Computer Support, Computer Repair, Online Computer support, IT support, PC Repair and answers to computer ...
www.crossloop.com/ - Cached - Similar
Download
Login
Help
Become an Expert

About Us
Create Profile
Forum
Windows XP
More results from crossloop.com »
#
CrossLoop Screen Sharing
Find trusted experts to help you. Thousands of helpers. Available right now. Unbeatable prices. Money back guarantee.
www.crossloop.com/partnerlink.htm?url=%2Fdownload...link - Cached
#
CrossLoop - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET ...
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0
Review by Seth Rosenblatt - 29 Sep 2008
CrossLoop provides a quick, easy, and completely free way to give a colleague, a friend, or a relative access to your computer.
download.cnet.com/CrossLoop/3000-2654_4-10602416.html - Cached - Similar
#
Crossloop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
CrossLoop is a remote desktop service from CrossLoop Inc. which allows users to share their computer screens and collaborate with others over the internet. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossloop - Cached - Similar
WebDude
Grafter

Thanks, but I tend to use MetaCrawler, just didn't feel the need to search, before posting (nor after, as it happens!)
Google is just a search engine, I have humans for friendship Smiley
Grff
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
The Pro package does not have download throttling, but as an off set to keep the price similar, it has got 20G peak as against 80G, it is possible to change packages for a month, but you would come back on the extra package at lower price but 60G

Looks like the option is to change to pro and get better (well, by better I mean what i'd expect) speed at evenings, but get less download allowance, and peak times of all day.  I'm not sure how all day can be classed as peak times, but that's another story.  As far as I'm aware, my premier legacy package only has around 30gb anyway.  I'm not sure where the 80gb is from.  I use the xbox quite a lot, and when I tried the pro didn't notice any difference in it all. So the only thing i'd gain is the possible normal speeds at their peak times, but I'd actually loose more than i'd gain I think.
I get pc's and laptops to sort at different times.  Sometimes I have none, sometimes I have a couple to do at the same time (what friends and family do with them is beyond me sometimes.  Grin ), so don't think switching packages all the time is going to work.
I guess other ISP's that don't have throttling at peak times must have their network crippled when an adobe updated is released. Hmm, I'm not so sure.
For info, Crossloop is remote access software, using VNC technology.  It's also free, and good for fixing friends and families pc's remotely
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Your current account type has peak times of 4pm - midnight, so you will see fairly heavy restrictions in the evening. Outside of these times downloads from download sites/servers should be pretty good.
The newer account types offer more usage, but also have a bigger time window in which to use this (8am - midnight). Outside of these times again the experience will be pretty good.
Pro has less usage, but has a much better priority (effectively line speed at all times). You also get free overnight usage.
In your particular case, if you don't feel the usage allowance on Pro is enough (bearing in mind you haven't come close to it in the last 3 months during peak times) then I'd say you're on the best product for you (given that your exchange isn't in a lower cost area and there's no ADSL2+ currently).
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Mand
there's no ADSL2+ currently).

Surely that would just have made it worse? If he normally downloaded at 16Mb/s (OK Upto 16Mb/s) rather than 8Mb/s  (OK upto 8Mb/s) the difference he will see is MORE dramatic, e.g. normally at 15Mb/s  down to 150Kb/s a 1000x decrease.
Mand
Grafter

I was more referring to the fact that the rate limits are more relaxed on Premium during the day, which an ADSL2+ connection would be able to take full advantage of.
a18041967

:(I'm experiencing exactly the same problems, the traffic management system is making Plus.Net unusable, I fully support controlling traffic such as torrents, news groups, and streaming but basic downloads required for patching is unacceptable. 1.2Gb Apple Mac update takes 8-9hrs to download on Sunday evening, but after 00:00 it takes 20-30 minutes, why should I wait up until mid night to use a service I'm paying for. Also whats the point in offering large 80Gb download limits if you cannot use them.
In the past Plus.Net had many packages to choose from, but now its limited, bring back the Pro Package that included unlimited downloads with no restrictions, or the Pay As You Go package. The perfect package would be a 10Gb limit with NO traffic management (line speed) for £11.99 with unlimited downloads between 00:00-08:00, asking customer to upgrade to Pro/Pay more for a service they should be receiving is unacceptable.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The idea is that the majority of those sorts of downloads can be scheduled for after midnight - I'm not sure how it is with Macs but Windows can be scheduled to download your updates at a given time of day. This is because updates are generally released all on the same date at the same time and if we didn't put in some kind of limits on them they would utterly flood the network for the couple of dates following the release.